Help! IMAP (aol) account not storing sent emails in Mac Email Program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rockman123, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Rockman123 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Got a problem and I hope someone can help. I use the Mac mail application on my Macbook Pro. Running OS X 10.6.5. I have several email accounts. 2 of them are aol accounts (IMAP). For some reason, for the past 2 days, when I send an email from those aol accounts, even though the email goes through, the email does not show up in my SENT folder. I know the email goes through because I receive replies from the recipient.

My 2 other email accounts (not aol) don't have that problem. Once again, this just started suddenly, 2 days ago (only with aol accounts)

When I highlight the SENT folder in the sidebar - and then go to the MAILBOX pulldown menu - and select USE THIS MAILBOX FOR - the options are all grey. I can't select them.

Any ideas? I hope someone can help. Thanks! :confused:

2. Rockman123 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

4. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

I developed this workaround. Perhaps it will work for you too:

1. In Mail Preferences>Composing, enable/check the block to "Automatically Cc myself".

2. In Preferences>Rules, add a new rule called Sent (or whatever you prefer).

3. In the top dropdown menu, select “all”

4. The next/lower field should read: “From >> Contains>> (enter your full email address)".

5. The next/lower field should read: "Perform the following actions: Move Message to mailbox (select the “Sent Folder, not the plane)” from the dropdown menu).

6. Click “OK”.

It will take several seconds for your new sent email to appear in the Sent folder, just be patient.

If this works, sing my praises. Otherwise, blame AOL.

5. Rockman123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great idea! Thanks. I tried it and it sort of works. I still have a little glitch, but too complicated to explain on here. But basically, it works.

The only change I made is in step 5 of your list - I chose "COPY message" rather than MOVE message.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

6. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Many thanks Rockman. Good catch!:D

7. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

AOL is working the issue. Or at least one official comment so indicates.

See http://goo.gl/MEyaR

8. Pndrgnsvc, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

AOL is again working as designed (at least for me & my wife), and for thatI am pleased.

Still, I'll wait a few days before disabling my "fix"...