Help: iMovie + iDvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

So last nite I made and burned my first DVD using my iMac... woo hoo!

To say I was over whelmed is a huge understatement.
    After years and years of PC and using Windows Movie Maker, I now have to forget the old way and learn a new way.

As I was working on iMovie and iDvd, I had to keep googling site after site for tips and help. I wasn't trying to do anything fancy either, just a simple DVD.
    I lost track of how many sites I hit, by 3am it was all just a blur.

So I turn to you guys here and ask...

Are there any sites that you guys can suggest or recommend that stick out above and beyond to help a new user to both iMovie and iDvd? I found some good ones but I'm sure I missed many more that were probably better than the ones I found.

Are there any settings on either iMovie or iDvd that I should always have on?

I also have FCE4. Can I create a movie (youtube videos) using FCE4 or would I have to use iMovie for this?
    When I create my movie on iMovie, can I burn using FCE4 or do I have to use iDVD?

Thanks all. Sorry for the simple questions... my brain is fried and I need sleep. I plan tonight when I get home to look up friendly sites to help me learn more.

Thanks again.

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I would check out lynda.com. you might have to pay but that's the site my university used to help with application training or as a resource.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Having used iMovie(6/11) a fair amount, I'm not aware of any settings that will effect the quality of the finished product. It will depend on the quality of the original video that was imported by iMovie.

When sharing to iDVD, again, there's is no option for choosing the quality of the output. In iDVD, if you go into the Project menu and choose Project Info, you can very the quality of the video on the dvd, but that's more to squeeze more content onto a dvd than anything else.