HELP Importing 60p AVCHD footage from my SD Card

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MrXiro, Aug 26, 2012.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Need help, I have a Sony A57 DSLR (it's a SLT actually but semantics)
    I shot some 60p video this morning but I can't seem to see any of them on my mac. I can import the 24p videos via iMovie. But the 60p files can't be imported using iMovie. They come up as big grey boxes. I went to see if I can see them as files when I open up a the SD card in my finder but all I see are empty folders and a huge file called Private that is probably my videos.

Any tips on how I can get these videos off my card and onto my mac? I have media converter to re-wrap it into a usable format but I just can't seem to pull up the "hidden" files.

I did a few google searches and searched here and I can't seem to find out why I can't see these files.

Thanks

2. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

We use FCP X for our 60p AVCHD footage but when I was doing most of my editing with FCP 7 I used media converter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/media-converter/) with the AVCHD preset to convert the footage to .MOV and then it can be imported as a file. It isn't exactly drag-and-drop and it adds a few steps but it does work.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

cool... I've figured it out... what I needed more was muCommander to see the files to import them... I used Media Converter to convert after I did that, thanks!

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

So after using Media-Converter I can't seem to conform the videos to 24p in Cinema Tools. It doesn't give me the option. I had used the "Rewrap AVCHD for Quicktime" preset.

I'm trying to slow the stuff down to 24p. I tried a batch conform and got "Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression".

Any advice?

5. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, you want a slo-mo effect? If you're using cinema tools does that mean you have FCP, Compressor, and Motion?

If you actually want to slow the motion down I think you need to pull it into FCP or Motion and re-time it. If you just want to drop frames then I have no experience with Cinema Tools but I believe what you need to do is actually transcode the footage in Compressor with a 24p preset--I'd recommend something ProRes since you're going through the hassle.

It may be that Cinema Tools is balking at the intra-frame compression used in AVCHD and you need to transcode it into something like ProRes anyway.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I figured it out. I needed Pavtube to convert my MTS files to a usable 60p format. I didn't have anything that could give me a non MTS file that was 1080p 60fps so that I could bring it into cinema tools to conform.

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro