HELP Importing 60p AVCHD footage from my SD Card

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Need help, I have a Sony A57 DSLR (it's a SLT actually but semantics)
I shot some 60p video this morning but I can't seem to see any of them on my mac. I can import the 24p videos via iMovie. But the 60p files can't be imported using iMovie. They come up as big grey boxes. I went to see if I can see them as files when I open up a the SD card in my finder but all I see are empty folders and a huge file called Private that is probably my videos.

Any tips on how I can get these videos off my card and onto my mac? I have media converter to re-wrap it into a usable format but I just can't seem to pull up the "hidden" files.

I did a few google searches and searched here and I can't seem to find out why I can't see these files.

Thanks

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Need help, I have a Sony A57 DSLR (it's a SLT actually but semantics)
I shot some 60p video this morning but I can't seem to see any of them on my mac. I can import the 24p videos via iMovie. But the 60p files can't be imported using iMovie. They come up as big grey boxes. I went to see if I can see them as files when I open up a the SD card in my finder but all I see are empty folders and a huge file called Private that is probably my videos.

Any tips on how I can get these videos off my card and onto my mac? I have media converter to re-wrap it into a usable format but I just can't seem to pull up the "hidden" files.

I did a few google searches and searched here and I can't seem to find out why I can't see these files.

Thanks
We use FCP X for our 60p AVCHD footage but when I was doing most of my editing with FCP 7 I used media converter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/media-converter/) with the AVCHD preset to convert the footage to .MOV and then it can be imported as a file. It isn't exactly drag-and-drop and it adds a few steps but it does work.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
We use FCP X for our 60p AVCHD footage but when I was doing most of my editing with FCP 7 I used media converter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/media-converter/) with the AVCHD preset to convert the footage to .MOV and then it can be imported as a file. It isn't exactly drag-and-drop and it adds a few steps but it does work.
cool... I've figured it out... what I needed more was muCommander to see the files to import them... I used Media Converter to convert after I did that, thanks!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So after using Media-Converter I can't seem to conform the videos to 24p in Cinema Tools. It doesn't give me the option. I had used the "Rewrap AVCHD for Quicktime" preset.

I'm trying to slow the stuff down to 24p. I tried a batch conform and got "Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression".

Any advice?

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I'm trying to slow the stuff down to 24p.

Any advice?
Just to clarify, you want a slo-mo effect? If you're using cinema tools does that mean you have FCP, Compressor, and Motion?

If you actually want to slow the motion down I think you need to pull it into FCP or Motion and re-time it. If you just want to drop frames then I have no experience with Cinema Tools but I believe what you need to do is actually transcode the footage in Compressor with a 24p preset--I'd recommend something ProRes since you're going through the hassle.

It may be that Cinema Tools is balking at the intra-frame compression used in AVCHD and you need to transcode it into something like ProRes anyway.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Just to clarify, you want a slo-mo effect? If you're using cinema tools does that mean you have FCP, Compressor, and Motion?

If you actually want to slow the motion down I think you need to pull it into FCP or Motion and re-time it. If you just want to drop frames then I have no experience with Cinema Tools but I believe what you need to do is actually transcode the footage in Compressor with a 24p preset--I'd recommend something ProRes since you're going through the hassle.

It may be that Cinema Tools is balking at the intra-frame compression used in AVCHD and you need to transcode it into something like ProRes anyway.
I figured it out. I needed Pavtube to convert my MTS files to a usable 60p format. I didn't have anything that could give me a non MTS file that was 1080p 60fps so that I could bring it into cinema tools to conform.