Help Importing Clips From SD Card (Mac Newbie)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by phildavies79, Jul 28, 2011.

1. phildavies79 macrumors newbie

OK so this is going to expose me as a complete Mac novice and I must be missing something obvious but can't figure it out...

I'm recording AVCHD footage to a an SDHC card. When I insert the card and browse its contents I can't find the clips (at least not in the format I was expecting).

I've recorded 2 clips and all I can find are 2 x .MTS files (in a "STREAM" subfolder) and 2 x .CPI files in a )"CLIPINF" subfolder) - which I can't open or preview in any application I've tried (including FC X).

The folder structure of the SD card is created automatically when I record and looks likes this:

Private > AVCHD > BDMV

In the BDMV folder are the STREAM and CLIPINF subfolders as well as a playlist.BDM file, a movieobj.BDM file and a playlist.MPL file.

The clips are definitely on the card as I can play them back on the camcorder.

Sure it's a simple and obvious oversight but would appreciate the help.

Phil.

2. musique macrumors regular

musique

When you want to use the information on your SDHC card you'll need to bring it into your editing system. (That's a generality. As I understand it, Premiere Pro might be able to use it natively.) So, first copy the entire card's contents to your Mac's hard drive. Then, if you're using FCP, you'd go to the Log and Transfer window and point it to the newly created directory that has your card's complete structure.

All of your clips will show up and you can import whatever one's you want.

Good luck.

3. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Editing program

What editing program are you using? I had similar issues when I jumped to AVCHD, I was using final cut express at the time, and it also depended on what format I was shooting, such as 60p, 60i, or 24p. I almost always use 60i. Final cut express noticed log and transfer for a bit then stopped all together, so I would send it to iMovie then transfer the files to final cut. Made importing less frustrating.

The previous OP is correct though. Copy all your files off the camera then import. This works great so you get more memory off your camcorder too, just make sure the files are being imported before you delete them from your camera.

I have had no problem getting AVCHD files imported to FCX, Premiere, and iMovie 11. You can always download the free 30 day trial of premiere to see if that helps at all.

Welcome as a Mac novice, in no time you will learn very cool stuff quickly. We all started somewhere and still ask for help, I know I do.

4. phildavies79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys I'll try that at the office tomorrow. I'm using Final Cut X but not actually imported anything yet (just got the mac and software yesterday).

In less than 24 hours I've realised I'll never buy another PC again! Should have made the move sooner!

5. phildavies79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm so that hasn't worked. I copied the root folder created on the SD card to my desktop and tried to open it via FC X. There is no importable media within the folder.

Any other suggestions?

6. musique macrumors regular

musique

It should...

You copied everything from the SDHC card (the entire tree structure) from the card to your hard drive?