Help importing iphoto albums to new imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barbourdg, Dec 17, 2007.

1. barbourdg macrumors member

Hi, we are trying to transfer many iphoto albums from iphoto5 to the new iphoto8. We have probably spent 50+ hours making our albums, that consist of 8000+ photos..

Of course I can easily import the photos into 08... But the folders are unrecognizable.. I have tried to many drag them, and still the same problem.

Can anybody help?
    Robin

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Are you using two different Macs? If you are you copy the iPhoto Library folder from you're old Mac to the new one iPhoto 08 should ask you where your Library is. Then you would navigate to the Pictures folder and select the copied iPhoto Library.

If they're on the same machine, it really should have upgraded the old library for you. You should try deleting iPhoto 08's lirbrary (make sure it isn't the old one with all you're photos), and following the same instructions as above to connect your iPhoto 08 to the 05 library.

3. barbourdg thread starter macrumors member

moving from a 12" powerbook to new macbook...

THANKS.... ROBIn

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Replacing your Pictures folder in your home folder with the old Pictures folder should do the trick (rename the '08 folder first to Pictures Backup, or something). iPhoto will say something like "this library needs to be updated" and then thats it.

5. barbourdg thread starter macrumors member

thank you.... I will try tomorrow.. both computers are at my day job..
    Robin

6. magillagorilla macrumors member

We've been having the same problem described above.

Purchased new mac this month and can't seem to get the albums imported. Can't delete the pictures folder on the new mac (says OS X needs it) to drag old photos folder over. Tried just about everything that I can think of without success.

7. magillagorilla macrumors member

Yeah, tried that. Problem is that I'm not able to open the old library even after it is moved (it's grayed-out). Tried moving the whole folder and just the library itself to no avail.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Did you try the Migration Assistant?

9. magillagorilla macrumors member

Yes, although it was after we had the new computer up and running for a couple of weeks and after it presumably had created a new photo library file.

10. TYancy macrumors newbie

Manual Import of Albums

The problem: The new version of iPhoto does not accept the library format of your older version of iPhoto (also known as bridge burning - I reserve further comment...). Don't panic, though. There is a way to do it manually. Here's how:

1) Use iPhoto's import function to bring in all the photos from the old library.

2) Open your old iPhoto library in the Finder (look in users>pictures>iPhoto Library), then open the Albums folder. Each of the albums appears as a folder, accompanied by a similarly named data file.

3) Select an album folder and copy its name.

4) Switch back to iPhoto, then create a new, untitled album, making sure to deselect the option to "use selected items in new album."

5) Paste in the name of the album in the name field.

6) Open the original album in the finder (list view is easiest). Each of the photos in the album is represented by an alias. Select all of the aliases and drag them to the iPhoto window and drop them onto the album that you just created. A window will appear prompting you to reconcile duplicate photos. Click on the "existing" thumbnail, then select "Apply to all duplicates" and "Import." This will import the aliases and link them to the corresponding photos that you imported earlier.

7) Repeat the above for all albums. Note that if you have different libraries on other hard drives or user folders, you can follow the same procedure in order to create an up to date combined library.

NOTE: In case you are wondering, if you were to choose to go with the aliased copy instead of the old, there is a chance that iPhoto will not process the links and the album will remain empty. Of course, you could simply select an alias, go to the original and copy the set of photos into iPhoto without worrying about step one, but since older iPhoto catalogues have three sets of each photo (the aliased file, the "original " file - in which the JPEGs are more compressed - and the thumbnails) this can be confusing and is more of a headache.

11. reanime, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

reanime macrumors newbie

thank you

Thanks for the info on how to do this. I had to transfer all photos exactly as they were to a new mac and your above explanation saved me. By the way, I HATE iPhoto!! if not for the above, but also for the reason of cryptic nesting and hijacking of simple photo files to where simple duplication and modifying the original in another app requires a learning curve to locate the damn thing. Grrrrr. Im a Mac loyalist, but this is a dumbed down program with complex indexing and unfortunately for me, is required by Fotomagico to make slideshows.