Help in buying a refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrashX, Mar 8, 2015.

1. CrashX macrumors regular

Newegg has the iPhone 5c for $279. A 5s for about $100 more.

I have an iPhone 4, but it won't run iOS 8. I was hoping for a smaller phone in the Fall, but it seems those rumors have been squashed.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My current bill runs about $40. I'd like to keep it that way.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone 5c is basically a 5 in a colored case, where as the 5s gives you faster performance and few other bells and whistles. I'd opt for the 5s

3. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Mike. The 5s is $400 on NewEgg. I don't think Apple sales refurbished phones directly, like they do with everything else?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct, apple does not, but some carriers do.
    You can try swappa, they're not refurbs there but its a cheaper alternative.

I'll be going that route when I eventually get phones for my daughters.

On the 5c, I have to say that was my favorite iPhone, but at this point with iOS 8 and iOS9 being unveiled at WWDC in a few more months. The 5s is probably the better option imo.

5. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

I'll see if AT&T carries refurbs. Since you liked the 5c - I'd save $120 running with that option.

I was hoping to wait until the Fall for the new iPhone, but it appears Apple is sticking with the same size and frailty. I was really hoping the rumors of a smaller phone would pan out, but apparently not.

So it looks like I won't be getting my next new iPhone until 2017. If the 5c might limp through until then, I'd just grab the "deal" on the 5c.