help in buying

Discussion in 'iMac' started by deafmute, Jul 11, 2010.

  1. deafmute macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2010
    #1
    Im a university student. I do architecture, graphic editing and rendering.

    The question is i want to buy the latest 27" iMac i7, is it worth to wait for the latest release or just buy the current model?
    I googled and the most said that Apple will released new model in fall, which is late September, or some said they will released maybe a months or two. I need a high end mac (processor n graphic), moreover i needed it urgently before my final project, but if i do purchased it now, the spec of the graphic is quite old 4850 512mb or worth waiting for the ddr5 5x 1g series?
    The issues is apart from i7 4cores, i need a better graphic card for my 3d rendering and gaming experience.

    Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.
     
  2. JCCash macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #2
    Have you thought about buying a MBP i7 and external monitor?
     
  3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

    ARF900

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    #3
    Well if hes doing a lot of graphics work he might want the screen space...
     
  4. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #4
    I'm assuming that's what he meant by the extra monitor. :rolleyes:

    As for word on the street, iMacs are being updated either this tuesday, August 17th, or September 14th (the tuesday which falls in the middle of the month).
    Apple has updated some form of Mac every month on the tuesday which falls closest to the middle. The iMac, Macbook Air, and Mac Pro are still awaiting updates.

    It really comes down to how bad you need this, and by your post it seems you do. I'd wait until at least tuesday if I were going to buy now.

    Personally, I think they'll update in September. Then again I'm only saying that because my 27 is coming in tomorrow, in T Minus 15-18 hours!

    Ya Digg?
     
  5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #5
    Please be this Tuesday! I'm tired of the wait. Although I won't get it when it first comes out, I still want to look at it, play with it and of course watch unboxing videos even though it will most likely be very similar.
     
  6. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #6
    Ah! Please don't say that!!!
    If I get on my new iMac tuesday morning and see updates I will cry.
     
  7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #7
    :(, okay. Please be August 17th, 11 days after my birthday :) Happy? And yeaaa that would definitely suck, but actually if you look at it, it would be better because then you can return it!
    So I say, ITS BACK ON WITH THIS TUESDAY :D
     
  8. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #8
    Lets stay with your birthday! Plenty of time to watch the same old unboxing vids, play with em at your local Apple store, and of course have that extra B-Day money to buy the highest end model. :p

    Haha, I'd be content with August 17th, missing the refresh by a month is alot better than less than a day. As for returning it, if I open it, which I will, the pain of having a brand new 27 in my house would be unbearable, then I'd have to pay a 10% (give or take, I'm not too sure) restocking fee. 10% of 2 Large is $200 bucks, which given the supposed tweaks and amount of time without a computer wouldn't be worth it for me.

    So hell, lets all just hope for August 17th! :p

    Ya digg?
     
  9. ee4life macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #9
    Would it be worth it to not open it the first day just to see if there is a refresh? If not then there is no issue. If you need a computer now then the refresh likely won't be of much use if there is any sort of lead time anyway, so it could come out tomorrow and you should still be happy with your new machine because you have it when you need it.

    However, if you think the refresh (no matter how minor it is) may have something you want, and you don't absolutely need the computer right now, then it probably wouldn't kill you to exercise a little restraint and keep it in the box for one night.

    If you got a refurb then maybe the point is moot: new machines will be a few hundred more expensive and we can't expect refurbs of the refresh until a few months have passed.

    Just my take on your situation...
     
  10. deafmute thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2010
    #10
    big thanks guys for the replied.

    btw, if 17 August and 14 September wont happen, wut the f am i goin to do? just keep waitin n do same things evryday keep on updates of the imac on the streets...ahhhhh...im tired..Mac..u r an *******. i need a better graphic card.
     
  11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #11
    Wouldn't that cost a lot more?
     

Share This Page