Help in configuring 15" macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamchris123, May 25, 2015.

1. adamchris123 macrumors member

adamchris123

Hi everyone, I have been looking at upgrading to a 15" macbook pro for a while and now that a minor refresh happened I am finally ready to pull the trigger. I am debating whether or not I need a dedicated GPU or if the Iris Pro will be fine and also if having a 512 gb ssd is worth it. Right now I have no need for a dedicated graphics card but I am going into college for Mechanical Engineering and will need to run CAD applications. I have not found a definitive answer on whether or not the iris pro will be fine for that. Also right now, I am fine with 256 gb but I will be putting a lot more pictures and school things on my computer and plan on keeping it for all four years of college. I also plan to run windows through bootcamp for some engineering applications so the extra space could be helpful. I also heard the 512 gb ssd is slightly faster. When I upgrade the base model to 2.5 ghz and a 512 ssd it is only forty dollars less than the one with the dGPU. I know having a dGPU would drain my battery faster and create more heat for intensive tasks. Battery life is important to me, but I am willing to make that sacrifice if it will benefit me a lot more while running CAD applications. Basically I am trying to find out if I need the dGPU and should just pull the trigger on the high end model. If I dont need it should I get the 2.5/256gb setup or the 2.2/512 setup. Sorry for the long post and thank you.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The dGPU could be helpful. My main concern has been the number of generations that have experienced trouble with them. Some of the 2012/2013 models had problems. The 2011 models had enormous problems. The 2010s had some issues, as well as a couple that preceded that. I no longer trust Apple's implementation of these things.

There's a high chance that your school has a computer lab though. If your models were that dense, you would end up using those regardless of your choice of notebook. OSX uses graphics switching between integrated and discrete, so you will save some battery life that way. It will run solely on discrete graphics under Windows or with an active Windows (or Linux) VM. You will probably want to carry the charger. As for cpu performance, the differences are trivial between the 15" models. Too many people don't know how to interpret benchmarks. Extra space is always good, but Apple charges a lot for it.

3. adamchris123 thread starter macrumors member

adamchris123

Thanks for the reply. So far I am leaning towards the model with the dGPU because the student discount will give me $200 off. I found out there is a program that can allow me to choose which gpu to run. I still dont know if a dGPU will be real beneficial in school. Would a 2.2/512 or a 2.5/256 be better if I decided to not get a dGPU?

4. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Yes there is a program to use to force the dGPU to run. Completely blanking though. Someone will chime in

5. kazibole macrumors member

gfxCardStatus

6. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

I recently picked up the dGPU model with a student discount and highly recommend it. The dGPU makes a significant difference, and you're getting double the RAM, double the SSD, faster CPU and $200 off instead of $100. And with Apple's warranty, if anything happens they'll take care of you

7. cookies! macrumors 6502

Get the dGPU. You have all of the good reasons to do so.

Or you could not get it and get an Apple Watch instead ;0

8. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Two cents:

Get the GPU and at least 512 GB SSD.

The jump from $1899 to $2299 is big, but you get quite a lot for the investment.
    Let me explain:

If you plan on using Bootcamp you really should go for at least 512.
    Trust me, storage space runs out fast, really fast.

The base configuration of the 15" with an SSD bump to 512 GB will cost you $2169.

For an additional $130 you get a GPU and a sizeable CPU bump.

That's pretty good value in Applemoney.

9. adamchris123 thread starter macrumors member

adamchris123

Thank you all for the input. Just pulled the trigger on the model with the radeon r9 m370x and i'm sure it will serve me well for years!