Help in configuring Mail :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dirtydignity, Oct 13, 2009.

1. dirtydignity macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have finally made a switch to Mail. There are a few question regarding mailbox behavior. How do i configure Mail. I want:
    1)All the mails that i read in Mail are marked as read in the original e-mail service.
    2)When i delete a message in mail, it should be deleted from the server too.
    3)I want mail to just download the e-mail and not the attachments. Only when i need to view the attachments, should it download them.

Help me out. Thanks in advance :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The first two problems can be solved by using IMAP rather than POP3 to connect to the server. I don't know about the attachments offhand as I'm not using my computer with mail set up. Maybe something in the preferences?

3. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

For attachments, i am not able to find any solutions. So i guess i would have to download attachments. Its not a big problem (it sucks when you synchronize mail for the first time. takes a lot of time).
    The first two are solved by IMAP. Thanks.
    Even though i'm using IMAP, it is not showing folders that i have made in hotmail. What i do is that i filter mails from various addresses to different folders.
    How do i do that ?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Click the "+" icon in the lower left corner to set up different mailboxes. Then go to Preferences -> Rules where you can tell Mail to sort your incoming messages according to sender.