Help in deciding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zhensley, Nov 18, 2008.

1. zhensley macrumors member

I will be buying my first Apple Computer in the next month or so. I have perused these forums for a while and I know these types of questions often annoy you all, so I will keep the question simple.

I will buy refurbished and will buy either the 2.4 MacBook Pro for $1349 or the 2.4 Black MacBook for $1099 (the extra $100 is worth the black and upgraded HD to me).

Regardless, I want this computer to function adequately for a minimum of the next 3 years.

What say you? What are the major benefits of the MacBook Pro over the MacBook? Speed-wise, am I right in saying both would function about the same? Is the main benefit to the Pro the clearly superior video card, or am I missing other things as well?

Thanks for your patience and guidance in this process.

2. Spanners macrumors member

Hi and welcome to the world of Apple :)

I'd recommend spending the most you can afford. This is not Apple specific advice its just the normal rule of thumb for computers. Obviously the second you buy it, it's out of date and you want this to last as long as possible.

Saying that I have a 1st Gen MBP that is easily coping with everything I now throw at it so it really doesn't matter which of the two you choose both will be fine.

Personal preference? The MBP build quality is far better than the MB. Metal always outlasts the plastic (although it does dent if you're not careful!) Add to that the fact the MBP has the discreet Gfx card and the express slot. I think its pretty much a no brainier.

Good luck with your purchase I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

3. zhensley thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I agree with what the previous poster said. In addition, besides the build quality of the MBP's being better, I would like to add that the screen quality is drastically better on them as well.

5. zhensley thread starter macrumors member

This is why I posted this in the MBP and MB forum - two different viewpoints.

Thanks for your input.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

MBP refurb would be my strong recommendation. Better build, higher spec and a superb screen. Obviously, no computer is entirely future-proof - the nature of computer technology virtually guarantees rapid obsolescence - but the MBp is probably a bit more "future-proofed" than the MB. I have one and I'm very happy with it, it's an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Just speaking cosmetically, the MBP will probably last longer than the BlackBook. There's a reason the MBP is called "Pro"--it's better than the MacBook, and not just in speed. It's worth it, to me, for the backlit keyboard alone :p