Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Wife and I just picked up a 5s and 5c. Were looking for cases on Amazon. We currently have the OtterBox Commuter Series Case for both of our phones. We like that its protected everywhere and seems like if it was to be dropped it would survive. We both take our phones to work and have kids in the house so we need something that protects everything but isn't going to make the phone look tacky or too bulky. The OtterBox Commuter cases seem to be great so far, but the phone isn't fully enclosed, like a snap on screen protector for the front. It comes with one of these screen protectors that stick on. We want something like the Commuter case but a case that encloses the whole phone, something like the OtterBox Defender Case. We like the look of the Defender case but the clip seems that it would make the phone huge. I wish I could just find a cases that protects the phone really well but also shows it off. I had covering up a such a nice phone.

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations on something similar to the Defender case we would greatly appreciate it. Or if you have a Defender case let us know what you think of it.

Thanks & Happy Holidays :)

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
What is the difference between the nüüd for iPhone 5s and frē for iPhone 5s?

nude doesn't have a built in screen protector. instead, it makes an airtight seal around the border of the screen. still waterproof, just no irritating plastic screen protector that reduces screen sensitivity.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
nude doesn't have a built in screen protector. instead, it makes an airtight seal around the border of the screen. still waterproof, just no irritating plastic screen protector that reduces screen sensitivity.

Nuud is $80! Wow...I might have to go with the otterbox defender for $40 $50 less.

I need a screen protector so it doesn't get scratched or marked up. Doesn't the nuud come with protector one of the peel ones?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Nuud is $80! Wow...I might have to go with the otterbox defender for $40 $50 less.

I need a screen protector so it doesn't get scratched or marked up. Doesn't the nuud come with protector one of the peel ones?

Yes, I believe there is a scratch protector included. You can buy replacements too, but a few people mentioned that they used the included protector as a template to cut cheaper bulk screen protectors to the correct size.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA

You can pick the fre up on amazon for $55. That's a really good deal.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
You can pick the fre up on amazon for $55. That's a really good deal.

The Fre is better than the OB defender, especially at that price.

----------

In Australia the nuud is $99 v the Fre $70, not worth the extra.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The Fre is better than the OB defender, especially at that price.

----------

In Australia the nuud is $99 v the Fre $70, not worth the extra.

I just bought the 5s fre and 5c fre. On amazon the 5s was $54 but the 5c was out and still said $79. Anyways, the Best Buy employee did a price match but screwed it up and I ended up getting the 5s for only $39.

When I got home I noticed the 5a box wasn't sealed properly. The 5c snapped on fine with no issues as of just yet. But my 5s case was really flimsy and when I snapped everything together the plastic screen has these rainbow looking marks everywhere? It's really bothering me. I tried putting the phone in the case several times but no luck, I also wiped both the case and phone nemerous times. Any idea if I'm doing something wrong or does this rainbow issue happen sometimes?

The fre does seem slimmer than the defender and almost as slim as the commuter. Maybe I should return my case and get the nuud instead since there is no plastic screen cover.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I just bought the 5s fre and 5c fre. On amazon the 5s was $54 but the 5c was out and still said $79. Anyways, the Best Buy employee did a price match but screwed it up and I ended up getting the 5s for only $39.

When I got home I noticed the 5a box wasn't sealed properly. The 5c snapped on fine with no issues as of just yet. But my 5s case was really flimsy and when I snapped everything together the plastic screen has these rainbow looking marks everywhere? It's really bothering me. I tried putting the phone in the case several times but no luck, I also wiped both the case and phone nemerous times. Any idea if I'm doing something wrong or does this rainbow issue happen sometimes?

The fre does seem slimmer than the defender and almost as slim as the commuter. Maybe I should return my case and get the nuud instead since there is no plastic screen cover.

I just used mine in Bali for 2 weeks and had a small bit of rainbow on the left and right of screen, but put it down to high humidity as i didn't have it at home. I clean the inside of the screen with eye glass cleaner, worked on my OB defender too. I only use it for causal use. the nuud wasn't out when i needed one, i prefer the glass screen for work, the nuud maybe a better everyday case but the Fre is the go if you are going to be rough with it and want total protection.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I just used mine in Bali for 2 weeks and had a small bit of rainbow on the left and right of screen, but put it down to high humidity as i didn't have it at home. I clean the inside of the screen with eye glass cleaner, worked on my OB defender too. I only use it for causal use. the nuud wasn't out when i needed one, i prefer the glass screen for work, the nuud maybe a better everyday case but the Fre is the go if you are going to be rough with it and want total protection.

Thanks for the help rob any everyone else... I kept the fre for my wife since she always taking the phone to work. Since my iPhone won't really be used at work just home I returned the fre and just got an otter commuter case again and got itwith an hd screen protector. The nuud was sold out. My location had almost no cases in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.