Help in reducing a gif anim's file size?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Please be kind...I'm a total newbie at this.

I was just experimenting with ImageReady, and I wanted to make an animated avatar for this forum. This means the avatar has to be less than 75 x 75 pixels, and less than 19 kb. And I'm starting with little prior knowledge of ImageReady, though I do know its other half (Photoshop).

I began with a Quicktime movie, exported it as a JPEG image sequence, and imported it to ImageReady as a folder.

My first problem was that, with a ten-second video, I ended up with 300 frames. My first animation using all frames came out, unsurprisingly, at about 650 kb.

The first thing I did was reduce the number of colors to 6. It actually looks pretty good at that, too. (I have dithering off, and I'm using adaptive color.)

Even at that, I was still hovering around 225 kb as a file size. So I started throwing out similar frames. This has gotten me as low as about 36 kb...but I'm stuck there. Because there are fewer frames, the animation already runs pretty fast...but it still looks acceptable.

I did try the "Optimize to file size..." option, but when I set that to 19 kb, my anim comes out terrible, with about two colors.

So please tell this poor novice...have I hit the wall? Am I trying to make an animation out of something that's just too complicated to get that small?

Original QT file

my gif animation

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I think the current optimised one looks great.
Are you sure you can't drop a few more frames, get the colours down to 4 or reduce the pixel dimensions?

It's so fast moving that persistence of vision gives the illusion of more colour range than there probably is...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Hold up, getting there!

This is 28KB...

I think knocking another 9KB off and still have it look someway decent is gonna be hard though...

edit: 16KB :D Doesn't look too bad.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
edesignuk said:
Hold up, getting there!

This is 28KB...

I think knocking another 9KB off and still have it look someway decent is gonna be hard though...

edit: 16KB :D Doesn't look too bad.

Beautiful work, edesignuk!

Blue Velvet, 4 colors looked like crap, unfortunately. Edesignuk dropped it down from 147 frames to 91...which still makes it run faster than it's "supposed" to, but there probably isn't any other solution for it. (I suppose I could try taking the dimensions below 75 x 56, but our avatars are already pretty small.)

Anyway, thanks a bunch, edesign! You rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.