Help in setup of Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dfine1966, May 11, 2011.

1. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I set up everything o.k, including printers with my new Airport Extreme, but I can't figure out how to have two wireless settings, one for 2.4 and one for 5.0, just like my last router that died. I bought the Airport Extreme because I finally just bought a new iMac which I will get in a few weeks, and my wife has an older iMac. Right now I have the radio mode set to automatic. Is there a way to have just N(5.0) and 2.4(B/G) separate, instead of an all in one. I noticed there is an option on the bottom in the configure manually area for wireless, (Wireless Network options). I clicked on it and saw a place to click 5GH network name. I really don't understand the settings for this: 1.multicast rate 2. Transmit Power 3. WPA Group Timeout 4. Use Wide Channels 5. Create a Closed network. If I click the 5GH Network name, will this give my that separate 5.0 network I want, to make sure my XBOX 360 connects to N and other N devices I have? What are all the other settings and what should they be set to?

Thanks.

2. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Option-click Radio Mode on the Radio Mode drop-down and you'll see the option you want: N on 5ghz and B/G on 2.4.

Are you sure your N devices are capable of using the 5ghz frequency? Not all of them can do that.

What I don't like about having a separate 5Ghz network name is that your device may hang onto a weak 5Ghz signal rather than switch to a stronger 2.4 Ghz signal. So I have N running on both frequencies and let my Macbook figure out which frequency to choose based on signal strength since both frequencies have the exact same name.

Also for better range make sure your 5Ghz network is using channel 161.

3. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am setting it up right now in a Windows 7 machine until my new Mac arrives. I still can't figure how to get a separate 5Ghz name. I have the brand new Airport Extreme. I just go it yesterday. Can you give my the exact way to do this?

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

In the Airport Utility go to the Wireless tab and near the bottom should be a Wireless Options or Wireless Advanced button or somethaing like that. Click that and a window should come up with the first thing to check is to have a "Separate 5GHz Name". Check that and name your 5GHz band, and then hit Update.

Now on your computer you will see the 5GHz band as another network to connect to. Connect to it just like you would any other network. I will say that 5GHz doesn't travel as good as 2.4GHz so if it has to pass through walls or other obstructions you may not have as strong of signal as the 2.4GHz.