Help in transferring data from PC to iMAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rglutz, Feb 2, 2013.

1. rglutz macrumors newbie

I have the new iMAC 27". I have an old Dell desktop. I did the ONE on ONE program and they transferred all of my data to the iMAC. Now i need to transfer all of my wife's data which she had under a different user name and want to do the same on the iMAC. What is the easiest and quickest way to transfer all the old data. I don't have an external hard drive. I have just a 32GB flash drive. Will that be good enough to transfer tons of pics, songs, and some videos? Better to buy an external drive?

Also, i need to install some programs such as Parallels. Looks like it's on a disc but the new iMAC doesn't have a CD/DVD disc player. Also need to load Windows XP and a couple of programs that are on discs. What do you recommend i buy? I would like to stay all Apple, for ease of use and conformity.

thanks in advance.

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

I'd recommend you get an external 1tb hdd use to transfer data then can be used as a back up disc. and then buy an external cd/dvd drive for loading discs etc and also for copying to if need. amazon do some decent ones at reasonable prices.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

my recommendations, and mine only…

If all you need is a DVD/CD burner (no BluRay), then you can use any 3rd-party DVD/CD drive (doesn't have to be the Apple drive). You can find a USB-based DVD/CD for $25 or so if you shop around.

I also recommend that you consider some sort of external drive to serve as a backup drive. It can be either a pre-assembled drive, or one you put together yourself (buy a drive and enclosure). You could also use a USB/SATA "docking station" and a bare drive of your choice (if you're not going to be using the PC anymore, you could cannibalize the drive from it).

For backing up, I STRONGLY suggest that you use CarbonCopyCloner instead of Time Machine. CCC will create a bootable backup in POFF (plain old finder format) that will be invaluable in a moment of extreme need...

I know nothing about Apple's "one-to-one" program, could they do a second "transfer" from the old pc to the iMac for your wife's account?

If not, create a new account for her on the iMac, and transfer things "by hand". Takes longer, but can be done...

4. StarsMalita macrumors newbie

Transfer Files

I keep all of my files backed up on the cloud thru MyPCBackup. You can access your files from anywhere which would make it easy to transfer them to another computer if necessary. Go here http://goo.gl/OLFIQ and sign up. Its ridiculously cheap and you won't have to worry about losing your files anymore.

5. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I used the Apple Migration Assistant on my iMac and downloaded the Windows Migration Assistant on my PC.

Very easy interface and transfer process, the software shows you the hard disk drives on your PC, from your iMac, you setup the directories and files you wish to transfer on your PC and let it happen.

Done & done.

As for an optical disk drive, if you really want to go all Apple, the choice is simple, the Apple Super Drive, I've got mine sitting on the stand, it is available, and looks good without cluttering up the desk.