Help in Web design on MacBook Leapard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3sin, Jan 19, 2009.

1. 3sin macrumors newbie

My grand daughter has a class in Website design and they are telling her that she must use a PC format in the course. She has a MacBook with Leopard. If she installs MS XP, what else will she need in terms of software and is Parallels necessary? I also wonder why she cannot use the Mac as a Web design platform? :confused:

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

exactly what program do they use ? Websites should be crossplatform and programs like dreamweaver exist for mac and pc's. The files they generate can be exchanged between mac and pc.

3. 3sin thread starter macrumors newbie

Webdesgin course help--thanks for your reply

thanks for you input but my grand daughteer decided to wait until next semester to take this course, do some work this summer on Webdesign as well as tweek up her computer and thus be better prepared--for now its advanced business statistics! Thanks again for your help.. 3s_in

4. SevenEleven macrumors member

SevenEleven

I have done web design work on both the mac and pc - more on the PC. My only guess is that the instructor may have them install php, apache, and mysql servers on their computers for testing purposes. Their is a nice one that is easy to install called Wamp (Vista or XP). I have not looked for one on Mac.

5. ipsg macrumors member

On a Mac they come pre-installed
    Just enable "web sharing" in System Preferences->Sharing

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Yep. Also, the Mac version is MAMP, and it does the same thing -- allows the user to run/use Apache, MySQL, and PHP (and Python and Perl, if required). You can also try LAMP, for Linux.

7. SevenEleven macrumors member

SevenEleven

:) wellll I will be checking those out shortly thanks

8. 60Best.com macrumors newbie

It all depends on your needs. My Experience on WebDesign:

Hi, I want to say Mac are really ahead away from PC's when talking about WebDesign. I began on PC because the course was on PC and it is easier there to install APACHE and manage php and mysql testings before uploading your site. Meanwhile, on the Mac side you can create stunning great projects easier and nicer. I use the adobe suite (fireworks, dreamweaver, flash) but Mac's also have IWeb, which is a great software for those beginning on web design and it offers a great range of opportunities. I personally do my php and mysql tests on my hosting account so all i need in my mac is dreamweaver and a FTP. I haven't found a APACHE version for mac but im don't miss it. My advice: stay on mac for great designs and if you need, install the Parallels to handle PC software. My best regards.

Find more useful technology advices at www.60best.com