Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
I have a small icon 145x180. Is there any software that allows me to significantly increase the resolution without distorting the image?

All suggestions welcome.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I have a small icon 145x180. Is there any software that allows me to significantly increase the resolution without distorting the image?

All suggestions welcome.
Nope. There's no way to magically increase a digital image's size and resolution by any large amount and maintain quality.

There are ways to enlarge images to an extent and manage the quality loss as much as possible, but a serious enlargement like you're talking about is still going to look a hot mess.

You have two options:
  • Find a higher resolution copy of your image somewhere else. Google image search might be helpful.
  • Create a new version of the icon in a vector drawing application, or pay someone else to do so.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
this is why photographers fill up drives really quickly as well as graphics artists. You can always take away, you cannot add. So source file a large resolution and a fair bit of drive space. That pic or graphic my be scaled down really small, but better to have source be say 4000 by 4000 scaled to 100 by 100 than needing 100 by 100 source be much larger.

Reactions: bwfc0907
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.