Help! Increase resolution of web image

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bwfc0907, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

I have a small icon 145x180. Is there any software that allows me to significantly increase the resolution without distorting the image?

All suggestions welcome.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Nope. There's no way to magically increase a digital image's size and resolution by any large amount and maintain quality.

There are ways to enlarge images to an extent and manage the quality loss as much as possible, but a serious enlargement like you're talking about is still going to look a hot mess.

You have two options:
    • Find a higher resolution copy of your image somewhere else. Google image search might be helpful.
    • Create a new version of the icon in a vector drawing application, or pay someone else to do so.

3. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

this is why photographers fill up drives really quickly as well as graphics artists. You can always take away, you cannot add. So source file a large resolution and a fair bit of drive space. That pic or graphic my be scaled down really small, but better to have source be say 4000 by 4000 scaled to 100 by 100 than needing 100 by 100 source be much larger.