Help! InDesign acting up

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ukjabber, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ukjabber macrumors member

Hi all,

first I love this site. Great tips and advice along with the latest rumours :)

I currently use indesign and have done so since version 1. I have in the past saved any logos, illsutrations etc etc in illustrator as ai files and never had a problem. Now all of a sudden when I bring the ai file into indesign it brings in the whole page.

I'll explain what I mean. I have a logo (nothing else on the page) on a 150mm x 150mm page in illustrator. I save it as usual as an ai file. Now when I bring it into indesign and scale to fit width of the box it scales the 150x150 page not just the logo. EPS files are fine though.

I can't see what I've done wrong. It's only just started doing this and now I have to go through all the logos I've created and make the eps files. Considering I deal with hundreds and hundreds of logos it's a serious pain in the arse. I haven't changed the preferences, the programmes are fully up-to-date except for indesign as it screws up my data merge which I do alot of.

Anyone shed any light?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi ukjabber

I recreated this behaviour by selecting "Show import options" at the bottom of the import dialogue box. I selected a file with a big artboard and small logo and selected:

Crop to > Trim

This then became the default setting when "Show import options" was deselected. So I turned "Show import options" back on and selected:

Crop to > Art

which then became the default behaviour.

Hope this helps ;)

3. ukjabber thread starter macrumors member

brilliant.

Thanks very much.

I still understand why it changed all of a sudden. Very weird.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sometimes my imports "suddenly" go from transparent to opaque. For the longest time I couldn't figure it out, then I realized a script I run to import multi-page PDFs was changing it.

You be working under a similar circumstance.

5. flrazor macrumors member

flrazor

I've had similar happen in Quark at work before, and the culprit at that time was unlocked guides in the AI/EPS file. I cleared all the guides and made sure there were no other stray objects on the page and it fit right after I re-saved it.

Not sure if ID is doing something similar, but might be worth a check. If you make a copy without guides you can import that and keep them in your original file if you need them for future edits.

6. ukjabber thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely spot on. I forgot I had recently inserted that script. Nifty piece of code-writing in. Little bugger!

Now all is back to normal. Ta.