Help/Input for a damaged iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JSENNY25, May 29, 2014.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

Hi folks, I am asking for help and input on what I should do regarding an iPhone 5 (AT&T) that was dropped. I need to have some type of phone by tomorrow because I will be going out of town.

The screen is cracked beyond use (glass shards are still coming off of the phone).

The screen is flickering, static, and dim.

It was a two foot drop,but it landed face down on tile. (i have never damaged a phone before...not too happy with myself)

Anyway...

I am looking for options and need help.

Here are my questions...

1. How much does an Apple Store charge for a screen replacement and can most all of them do it in store that day?---I ask because I have seen conflicting info on Macrumors and other sites.

2. How much does apple charge for a full replacement iPhone?

3. If I wanted to purchase a new iPhone from AT&T how can I get the subsidy price (199) instead of NEXT without changing the monthly bill. (I have a discount and a 10 GB mobile share plan for $131)

4.Would any of you advocate going the craigslist route?

I, like many of you on this site, am awaiting the official news on the iPhone 6 and would really like to NOT use my AT&T upgrade options so close to a new phone coming out.

I am normally on the 2 year phone rotation and would prefer a viable
    option that has me paying the least amount of money for a functional iPhone (4s and above).

I welcome your opinions/ideas on how I can attain an iPhone or repair for the least amount of money, the least amount of frustration and in the quickest manner possible.

I really appreciate the help.

-jason

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1) $149 for screen replacement. Some can do it that day, some may not be able to. First, you'll have to make sure you can get a genius bar appointment. Don't expect to walk in and just be able to have it done. If you can get an appointment, I'd call ahead to see what kind of timeframe they can give you for the repair.

2) Out of warranty replacement cost is $269.

3) You cannot get a new phone for the subsidized price without renewing your contract or being eligible for an upgrade. You'd have to pay full price.

4) Potentially. I've sold both of my previous iPhone's on craigslist to buy the new ones. Both have been good experiences. However, I've never bought a phone off of Craigslist and don't intend to. In your situation, I'd much rather pay the $269 for a replacement from Apple. Less hassle/worry.

3. caseycicada macrumors member

Really depends on how much you want to suffer $$$wise.

1) Try to get the screen replaced.
    2) Try to find someone on craigslist
    3) Go to best buy. You can get a replacement "Go-Phone" that is really cheap. It will get you through your trip, until you are able to come home and really fix the problem. I mean, they are like $20. I had to use one for two months once, and aside from offering no services other than call/text, it worked for me.

4. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks. All good ideas. I still can't figure out if the apple store near me does in house repair.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Most do, but many may be too busy to take care of it that day. Best to call your store to see if they do in house repairs, and if they'll have the ability to do so on the day you make an appointment.

6. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

I will check now.

Random question:

Do any of you think there is a way I can parlay the iPhone repair or out of warranty replacement into purchasing a refurbished or out of warranty (brown box) iPhone 5s?

It's not that I am trying to be greedy, I just figuring if I pay 270 for the out of warranty iPhone 5, maybe I could get the 5s for just a few more dollars.

Thoughts?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They don't do that. The 5 is your only option. But, they'll gladly take your $649+ for a new 5s!

8. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Makes sense. Anyway, thank you for the advice. The Apple Store in Ross Park does repairs but they may not have my screen so my option might be to purchase the iPhone out of warranty for $269.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not gonna happen, they wont upgrade you.
    Same device, color and storage.

10. hellala macrumors newbie

If you're skillful person, you can buy a replacement screen on ebay for less than $50. And spend 30 mins to replace it:

Screen:
    White: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390818204365
    Black: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271384009799

Tutorial:
    http://youtu.be/qvsLjaW2Qbo

I could do it for 10-15 mins