Help!! Insane situation with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered the iPhone 6 Plus from Apple the night it was released. I received the phone and tried it out during the first 14 days and decided it was not for me. I returned the phone to Apple at the end of the 14 day period but noticed today that, on my AT&T account, I am still showing as a AT&T NEXT subscriber.

I called AT&T today to get it removed from my account and I was told that I became an AT&T Next Client on the 15th (the phone was delivered on Launch Day on the 19th) and I am outside the "customer remorse period". I no longer have the phone as Apple took it back and I am currently on hold waiting for a manager to address the situation.

This is ridiculous- anyone have help or advice? This is my last straw with AT&T- I have been a customer for 10 years, but I'm done after this.

:mad:

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I have this issue as well after I returned the 6 Plus. My AT&T Next has not been reset and I am at wits end.

Story: Purchased on 9/19/14 and returned it on 9/29/14, and was able to do a return/exchange so AT&T Next was reset instantly. 9/30/14 I returned the phone, and AT&T Next was NOT reset.

I've been bounced back and forth with AT&T and Apple regarding this issue. Last friday I went back to Apple, I spoke to a guy who I talked about the issue first and he was shocked that AT&T couldn't fix the issue since he has worked at AT&T store as well.

Anyways he tried what he can so he called one of the rep who works bridges both Apple and AT&T and he has been very helpful explaining to her. I was told that they Apple system does show that it was returned, but it must have been in one of the other system that had a hiccup and the lady had to go on that system which I was told about 72 hours. So I have to wait till tomorrow to get this issue resolved.

It's annoying, I've been charged for the installment for the phone that I do not have, and AT&T have agreed to credit me back. Have to wait and see next month and see what happens.

If both AT&T and Apple can't resolve this issue, then I am going to have to find a solution such as legal actions.

4. saberz macrumors regular

From dealing with the return at a retail level, they had to phone in the Imei and account info to ATT and it takes 3-5 business days to get your eligibility back. I would continue to call corporate and politely explain the situation again and request a manager.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

I've never understood what people think they're accomplishing threatening "legal action" over a situation like this... Not only are your ACTUAL damages at this point only $30-40, but the company would LOVE for you to go away and gripe at someone else for a while, especially if you're paying that person hourly for the privelege (as you would, because no (sane) attorney would take your plight on contigency).

I get that people get upset. Fair enough. But rushing to "or I'll sue!!!" isn't going to accomplish anything (except maybe get you laughed at by the company).

I bet you'd get a TON for "pain and suffering" though...

Sheesh :p

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Threatening legal action, especially if the consumer relations or office of the President gets wind of it, does work. I myself actually did just that with AT&T last year and it was amazing how fast someone from the OoP reached out to me and had everything fixed within a couple of days.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Like if I was actually going to. Of course it would cost a lot and I don't actually plan on doing that route. I just want them both to fix the issue. Anyways, I do believe that both AT&T and Apple will resolve the issue that I am having. Otherwise I will have to have AT&T credit all the monthly installments. Because for one I should NOT be charged for the installments when I don't even have that phone that I returned.

And yes and it is partially my fault of course being that I should have NOT returned the phone.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Worst case scenario is switch to Verizon. That's the best thing I ever did to rid myself of all the AT&T BS. I know it's not the right decision for everyone, and it's an easy thing for me to say, but seriously consider it. AT&T sucks. Otherwise just make sure you're courteous when talking to the reps as that goes a long way. Just be a decent human being and they should work through it with you.

9. JoJoCal19, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014

JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Yes, rather than going straight to actually contacting my lawyer and also filing complaints with the BBB and State Attorney Generals office, I actually wrote a non-angry and respectful email to several C level execs whose emails can be found on the interwebs, and explained the issue I was having and asking for help, while reserving my right to file complaints and have my lawyer draft a letter. This was over a holiday weekend, beginning of the week someone from the OoP team emailed me and asked me for more details. I sent them a response back and the next day got confirmation the issue was taken care of. So yes, several days. But it's amazing what you can get done when you respectfully escalate the issue while letting it be known you won't hesitate to pursue all available legal options.

10. saberz macrumors regular

Everyone's experience is different. I found Verizon to be one of the worst services I've used (more so than T-Mo), from dropped calls and some of the worst customer service I've experienced.

AT&T on the other hand has been great, always resolve my issues and if we can't get 100% they meet me half way( phone broke literally the day after the year warranty) and they gave me a choice of a new device Galaxy s3 to an HtC One m7.

Went through a spell switching jobs and they let me keep service and put me on the $10 active line plan to keep me going in limited capacity.

No two people will share the same opinion. You can be served the same way, same food and walk away with two different perceived experiences.

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's pretty weird how these companies can all be so different. That's probably the biggest issue. If good customer service is possible at all of these places, and issues are quickly resolved, then great service every time is possible because the policies to allow it are in place. They just aren't training their staff properly in how to deal with it. Either that or they do give special treatment. However, I had AT&T since 2004 when it was Cingular, and I didn't get special treatment. Maybe because my monthly bill wasn't very high? The Verizon reps are always professional and I can actually understand them. The only issue I had with them was being confused on whether I could upgrade to the iPhone 6, but that became clearer as the launch approached.

Obviously signal strength will vary by location. We moved to a new town right before the iPhone 5 came out and my wife and I couldn't use our iPhone 4 and 4S to find anything using maps on AT&T. We had to pull in and use McDonalds and Starbucks WiFi. Calls at my work dropped like crazy and my wife could barely get through. Switched to Verizon and it was golden. What I didn't expect was how good the signal would be out in the middle of nowhere. I could expect GPRS at best on AT&T while out in the sticks. Sometimes no signal for miles. Verizon had 30Mbps LTE almost everywhere, lol. Rarely drops down to 3G. It's subjective, but based on traveling all around the country to some of the same locations on AT&T vs. Verizon I'd say Verizon wins.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

with the AT&T CSRs they try to blow you off at first and you have to push them.

if they say you became a client on the 15th, ask them for the written policy where it says the trial takes effect before you have the phone which is most likely illegal

13. Shadowbech, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

So I went back to Apple store today since today was my 14 day. So I did get my AT&T Next upgrade back today and the person who works both AT&T and Apple has resolved my issue. Of course, I was very polite and patience for the 14 days, and thanked both the Apple sales who tried to help me and the ATT rep.

If you purchased a device from Apple store and you use AT&T Next, and you decide to return the device, it is a hit or miss and if you don't get your AT&T NEXT reset, contacting AT&T will not help because they say that it's Apple issue since you purchased it at Apple and you would have to deal with Apple. Apple will then direct to you contact AT&T. I had to go through this 14 days and finally was able to get my AT&T Next reset.

I've been told that AT&T nor Apple does financing and it is done through a third party creditor (helafax? Not sure the spelling), this is why AT&T could not reverse the upgrade on their end. Luckily the Apple store in my area has a rep that does bridge AT&T and Apple so she was able to fix the issue that I had.

If you have this similar issue, I suggest you go to the Apple store, ask to speak with the store manager, they will explain to you that it's not Apple's problem but AT&T's. Then ask the manager if they have a rep that works for both AT&T and Apple and have the store manager call that person.

That's what I did and I got it resolved.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sure, if they're stuck with you in a contract. Many retailers, however, are instructed to cease all communication with you once you threaten legal action so it's counterproductive.

15. ashenfang macrumors member

That's not entirely true. I had an issue several years ago with verizon and being billed for services that were placed on my account in their error. After several attempts at getting it fixed via management, I pulled the "sue" word on them. The manager laughed as if a peon customer had any chance against a giant like verizon . I asked for their legal department mailing information and the manager was thrown by my request. After a few moments he found the address. The next day I went to my local courthouse and filed a small claim suit against verizon and the summons was mailed to their legal department.

Three days later, guess who call me? Verizon. From the executive relations department. He said their were in receipt of an order to appear summons from my small claims suit. He asked me to explain the entire situation to him. The following day he contacted me again and offered to clear up my account of the charges, pay for the cost of filing the suit and another $100 credit on my account for the trouble.....my only requirement was to have the suit dismissed. So all in all, it cost Verizon around $500 to rectify my situation (where was only around $300 in damages less the cost of the suit and the credit they gave me).

That was the cheapest route for them to neutralize the situation. Sure, they could have fought it but that would mean hiring a local attorney to represent them or send a corporate one on retainer to my local court house to answer the complaint, neither of which would have been that cheap.

Honestly, I just wanted my account fixed and not have to pay for something that wasn't my fault. I tried several times unsuccessfully to get that accomplished and when they wouldn't budge, this was the next option. So, Sometimes this is the solution to the problem.

16. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

That's what I am going to do to ATT
    but not telling that I am suing them, let them come to curt

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

It won't get to that. Youll get contacted by someone from the OoP or some other high office/consumer relations team as soon as they get a summons.

18. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

AT&T is an excellent company with terrific fair and friendly customer service. I've been a customer for twelve years.

Those who think differently are usually those who fail to do their part. If you fail to understand what you sign up for, you only have yourself to blame.

I'm simply bringing the truth to light.

19. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

The original poster didn't fail to do his part. He returned a phone and was told that despite returning it, he's still liable for making the payments. How exactly is that fair? The 14 day return period begins once the item has been delivered and not before. AT&T plays these games every year; I've read about this on many occasions. This is exactly why all phones should be sold unlocked and purchased from the manufacturer. And I don't need their customer service reps to be friendly; just need them to be competent.

20. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

The TOS is subject to change without notice. That's boilerplate used by all carriers. If one reads the current legal binding TOS it proves the buyer failed to perform due diligence.

AT&T doesn't play games.