vuthecuongjapan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
I reinstall mac os high sierra. I download mac os high sierra 10.13.1 from torrent, restore to usb 16gb with transmac. Then boot into USB. I only saw the icon "install Mac os", then I clicked it, it appears on the image as in the attachment and stop there forever. I do not know what the problem is. Please help me what and how to do next?
thank you very much.

unnamed.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
"I download mac os high sierra 10.13.1 from torrent, restore to usb 16gb with transmac."

If you're trying to create a bootable USB installer on a PC (even with transmac) -- I don't believe you can do this.

I could be wrong, but I believe this MUST be done "on a Mac".

On the Mac, you need ONE of the following:
- Boot Buddy
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator

Also, are you sure you're getting a good copy of the installer "over a torrent"?

Reactions: old-wiz

Mathiusreal

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I reinstall mac os high sierra. I download mac os high sierra 10.13.1 from torrent, restore to usb 16gb with transmac. Then boot into USB. I only saw the icon "install Mac os", then I clicked it, it appears on the image as in the attachment and stop there forever. I do not know what the problem is. Please help me what and how to do next?
thank you very much.

View attachment 739294

Same here. But, I make the bootable pendrive with Diskmaker and voila! everything goes well.
:)

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
I could be wrong, but I believe this MUST be done "on a Mac".

On the Mac, you need ONE of the following:
- Boot Buddy
- DiskMaker X
- Install Disk Creator
A Mac is definitely required to make a bootable installer, but none of those three tools are necessary.
[doublepost=1512152783][/doublepost]
thank you very much.

View attachment 739294
Just use internet recovery. That way there's no need to use a questionable installer downloaded from a torrent.

Mathiusreal

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
A Mac is definitely required to make a bootable installer, but none of those three tools are necessary.
[doublepost=1512152783][/doublepost]
Just use internet recovery. That way there's no need to use a questionable installer downloaded from a torrent.

But internet recovery with an old Mac don't upgrade to High Sierra.
And I was try with Terminal, after look around for some tutorials and the only thing that help me was Diskmaker.

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
But internet recovery with an old Mac don't upgrade to High Sierra.
And I was try with Terminal, after look around for some tutorials and the only thing that help me was Diskmaker.
If the computer has had High Sierra installed on it, which I assume is the case because the OP mentioned reinstalling, then yes, the computer will get High Sierra installed. This changed starting with 10.12.4. https://support.apple.com/HT204904
Starting with Command-option-R will reinstall the latest operating system from internet recovery. Command-shift-option-R will get the operating system that came with the computer.

Apple's instructions to create a bootable USB installer have been 100% reliable for me. https://support.apple.com/HT201372

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
chrfr wrote:
"A Mac is definitely required to make a bootable installer, but none of those three tools are necessary."

They make the process MUCH MUCH easier for someone who isn't familiar with the terminal or the correct syntax for commands entered into same.

I've created bootable installers with and without using terminal.
It's considerably easier with one of the above-mentioned tools.
Preferable, in fact.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
Belgium
chrfr wrote:
"A Mac is definitely required to make a bootable installer, but none of those three tools are necessary."

They make the process MUCH MUCH easier for someone who isn't familiar with the terminal or the correct syntax for commands entered into same.

I've created bootable installers with and without using terminal.
It's considerably easier with one of the above-mentioned tools.
Preferable, in fact.
DiskMaker X and Install Disk Creator don't work on my MacPro. I had to use the terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.