Help install sribus for mac, plez..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightsky, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nightsky macrumors member

Noob from windows, don't understand how to install scribus for mac. Or do i have to install other software to compile (however that works) code into a pkg? Scribus Aqua, does it have to be downloaded as code and then compiled to install? How do I get install ghostscripts, what is meant by unpack and frame work. This is like trying to learn linux :eek: Do I have to become a developer to install open source on my powerbook G4 (5.8)?
    Already updated X11 and put it on my dock, Xtools are all there but the more I read the more daunting getting any useful software on to this laptop seems.

Anyone successfully installed Scribus Aqua? How did you do it?

Sorry but I am pretty frustrated and been awake too long.... thanks

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Alright, first things first, less coffee, more sleep :)

I followed NAG's link and then downloaded the GhostScript file that that page links to. I used Safari to download it, and as is its way, a .BZ2 was attached to the end of the file. If this has happened, simply click on the file and press enter to rename it. Then, delete the .BZ2 from the end, leaving the file named 'gpl-ghostscript-857B.tar'.

You may need The Unarchiver in order to open the .TAR, but that is a 10 second download (and that is with a slow connection :)). Once you have that installed, open the .TAR.

Now, here is what they meant by Frameworks. You need to select a Finder window, and then, up in the Menu Bar, hit Go -> Go To Folder... and type exactly this (ignore quotes) "/Library/Frameworks". Once that is open, drag the Ghostscript.framework folder to there.

Once that is there, now it is time to download and install Scribus. So go ahead and download it, unpack the TAR, and then drag the Scribus icon to your Applications folder.

Once it is there, go ahead and launch it, and let it find all its font and the like. After it is done with that, you will need to point it to the GhostScript thing that it needs. So, up in the Menubar (with Scribus selected) hit the Scribus -> preferences. In the preferences, you will see a sidebar on the left, scroll down through that to "External Tools". This will change the preference window. Now, you have 2 path bars, the top one will say 'gs' and the bottom one 'gimp'. On the 'gs' one, hit change, and navigate to where you put the GhostScript.framework folder. This will be in your main hard drive (Defaults to Macintosh HD) -> Library -> System -> Frameworks.

Now, in here is the Ghostscript.framework folder, within which is the gs file that you need.

Ghostscript.framework -> Versions -> 8.57 -> bin -> gs

Once you select that you should be golden.

3. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Decompress from 'Terminal' - Ok?

Thanks TheStu, that I can do safely. As for 'untar' part can I open up the bash terminal frm 'Utilities' goto my download folder and issue the following commands:
    Code:
    UserName$cd /username/downloads/
    UserName$tar xvf gpl-ghostscript-857B.tar

Is this Ok? Also, I need to make sure I have the correct Sribus version? Is it Scribus Aqua 1.3.3.10 and its what type of download - binary source? If I am not mistaken, I was confused by this description as a 'source code download' from Sourcforge and well did think it is an install pkg as you describe?
    Thanks all

Off topic
    I need more information about OS X because of its proprietary nature - the file structure, naming, and command conventions. Just want to build web pages now!

lol Have a thread going on the compile option as backup and play for when I don't nd to put together tons of web pages my next post. lol got some sleep.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Honestly, I have no idea with regard to the terminal thing. I do not use Terminal for this kind of thing. I just install Unarchiver and double click the tar.

5. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

***********Please Note Safari Browser does not attach .BZ2 to ghostscript.tar download
    ghostscript857B.tar.bz2 is a pkg that has been tar and filtered through bzip2
    so .bz2 can not be deleted as it will create errors during unpacking:
    :This does not look like a tar archive
    :Skipping the next header
    :Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
    :Read 6505 bytes from gpl-ghostscript-857B.tar
    :Error exit delayed from previous errors *****************************

Hey, Scribus install is partially German or Finish and English... TG for Icons.... preference greyed out after I chose gs
    from Library/Frameworks/Ghostscript Framework. windows XP version 1.3.3.11 works great !

So beware if you have any problems :( I thought your reference to .bz2 being a Safari related errata was not right, I second guess myself and googled it after I couldn't open the
    .tar archive after deleting .bz2 lol But what I need was your explanation of how to do the steps in mac and glad you provided the support I needed thanks.... I will post back when I am gold...lol

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

See, that is really weird, because on mine, I deleted the .BZ2 and then double clicked to to untar, it all worked just fine.

7. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

How Do You Un-install Scribus Aqua ?

Scribus is my only attempt at installing anything on this laptop.
    What did you use to un-archive GhostScript? What version of GS did you use? What version of Scribus Aqua did you download? My scribus aqua tags are partially German, English and maybe something else? The Preference button greys out and I can't get in to check language preference.

Found this: http://ianheath653.wordpress.com/

It wasn't your instructions its the luck of the draw :( Will keep trying till I get a good install. Thanks

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Scribus 1.3.3.10
    Ghostscript 8.54

Unarchived Ghostscript with The Unarchiver (link in my instructions post)

Once I got it installed, I really didn't mess with it that much since it struck me as weird.

9. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

How do I do clean un-install scribus aqua?

What did you find weird? Did it work alright? How do I do a clean un-install? I want to install
    Scribus Aqua 1.3.4 Thanks

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Put your hands on AppZapper, that will get rid of everything from Scribus.

It just looked out of place, and not something that I need to know too much about.

11. buckmeisterq macrumors newbie

what is this framework you speak of?

I feel like a crazy person, but I've downloaded ghostscript 8.54 and 8.62 and there is no "ghostscript.framework" file or "ghostscript framework" folder.

Is it just supposed to be understood that I need a C compiler in my path and I need to port and compile ghostscript for leopard? Seems like all the instructions leaving that out is a huge gaping hole.

12. Venge macrumors newbie

Venge

thanks

I just want to say "thank you" to TheStu for the excellent advice he posted back in '08 regarding the installation of ghostscript to frameworks. I followed your instructions (which were very clear) and when I restarted Scribus the "ghostscript software not found" message did not show its tired old face and I am now able to preview- which makes the software considerably more useful. An earlier visit/query would have saved me grief but better late... So, again, thank you.:D