Help! Installed 10.5.7 and now it's stuck on the blue screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blSwagger, May 13, 2009.

1. blSwagger macrumors member

I tried installing 10.5.7 last night using the regular software update and it kept failing. Then I went to the mac website to download the dmg file, which worked. I installed it fine and then clicked restart. The blue screen came on and the circular thingy in the middle started going around as usual. Then it stopped, but the blue screen stayed. Then the circular thingy came back. I left it alone overnight in hopes that it would fix itself by morning, but no, it's still stuck on the blue screen. Any ideas?

2. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

I think I'm having the same problem. By blue screen you mean that apple space screen right? Mine is frozen there too. Is it safe to just shut the machine off?

3. blSwagger thread starter macrumors member

This has happened to my brother in law at least 2 or 3 times. He told me if you shut it off, you'll have to format and reinstall os x from disk, and then do a time machine restore.... hence my post here - I want to avoid having to do that.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

try to re-update combo 10.5.7 with before safe boot (shift) ..

or run diskwarrior 4.1.1 from extern hdd.

5. blSwagger thread starter macrumors member

How do you do that if it's stuck on the blue screen and you can't get the OS to load up?

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Anytime you are about to do an upgrade, repair all your permissions, reset
    the pram etc.

I upgraded to 10.5.7 with no issues. But it was a huge download.

7. blSwagger thread starter macrumors member

I ran disk utility and repaired all permissions a couple days ago. What is reseting pram? How do you do it?

8. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Boot from OS X disk and repair permissions from Utilities>Disk Utility.

It's funny how on a whim, I repaired permissions yesterday.

Installing the 10.5.7 update today went fine for me.

My MBP takes a while to find the boot disk and boot, I guess I'll have to find out why.

9. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

10. iBimmer macrumors newbie

Had the same problem, all I did was shut down the laptop and start it up again. All went smoothly after that.

FWIW, mine is an MBA, 1.86GHz SSD.

HTH

11. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Or you could just be nice and tell them Command + Option + P + R when you press the power button. Wait until you hear the Apple BONG at least two times.

12. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Same thing here.

Just do a hard reset and you'll be fine. The computer will go through a few more startup cycles and might get stuck again, but just let it do its thing. Kind of annoying, but it does the trick.

=|

13. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem on one machine. Having a good back-up, I bit the bullet, held down the power button and shut down (in the middle of the blue screen/spinner). When I turned it back on, it re-booted a time or two, then came back as good as new. No problems at all.

14. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

If you install 10.5.7 and get stuck at the blue screen after rebooting and cant get rid of it by simply turning it off then on again, boot from Mac OS X install disk and run disk utility and repair permissions and repair disk if needed. That might help someone hopefully.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I can confirm that if you do a hard reset, the computer will be fine. It will start up and reboot 2-3 more times before booting up normally.