Help! Installed Bootcamp...can't boot MacOS anymore?!?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by parajba, Aug 28, 2010.

1. parajba macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

I just finished installing Windows 7 via BootCamp on my MacBook Pro (i5) and I can't boot MacOS anymore...what can I do???

When I restart the laptop it boots Windows...!

Help...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hold the option key while booting and select your OS X partition and press enter. When installing Windows, it sets itself as default boot volume so when in OS X, open System Preferences and go to Startup Disk and select your OS X partition and click reboot

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Along with what Hellhammer said, if you install the apple bootcamp utilities in windows, it will give you a start up disk control panel, where you can set the start up disk.

Likewise if you want to ensure that OSX is the default start up OS, just choose that preference (in osx) and select the OSX partition.

4. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your kind reply! For a moment I panicked! I thought I'd lost all my Mac stuff! ;-) Silly me.

Thanks for the useful tips! Much obliged!

5. parajba thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I tried Windows 7 for 10 minutes, didn't like it so decided to uninstall it straight away. Went into Boot Camp Assistant and deleted the partition.

The problem is that every time I restart the MacBook Pro, it tries to boot from the Windows partition (which doesn't exist anymore!), so I have to press the Option key and select the Mac partition...

How can I change the boot options so that it boots from the only existing one, the Mac partition?

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Go to system preferences select the preference pane startup disk then you need to unlock the little bottom lock then select the mac os startup disk and restart

7. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Wow, serious, buddy. Use punctuations.

So in short:
    System Preferences > (System) > Startup Disk.

Here you can simply select which disk your system chooses to boot from by default. Restart your machine to accept the changes.

If you aren't logged in as administrator, you have to unlock the pane by clicking the lock on the bottom left of the pane. If you are logged in as administrator, this isn't necessary.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

lol sorry typed it on an Ipod touch and could be bothered to use them

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah mobile devices must really give the grammar nazi's fits because its really a pain to be using periods, commas and apostrophes

10. p4r4800t macrumors newbie

how to unlock default boot

for the first time , i have install the xp on the bootcamp, and then i lock default boot to xp, so when i restart and boot my mac logon to xp . the problem is how to restore default boot?

11. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

Hold down the option key when you boot and you will get the option to boot OS X or Windows. You can then change the startup disk preferences as mentioned earlier in this thread if you need to.