Help installin mac os x tiger

Discussion in 'iMac' started by angelxbites, Jun 7, 2011.

1. angelxbites macrumors newbie

ok so im trying to install mac os tiger off a usb, i understand you need to make it a guid in order for it to be bootable..but my imac 4g is running mac os x puma and the disk utility has no options tab to make the usb guid..so im stuck is there a way to make it? ive tried terminal and that was a bust as well some how on a windows computer? i own one of those too?:) thanx in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

The G4 iMac will not be able to boot from a USB device. Better try a Firewire external HDD and the Apple Partition Map, as GUID is for Intel Macs.

The following screenshot shows the options in Disk Utility and the explanations. Ignore the green box, as it is related to a guide for replacing HDDs in an Intel Mac.
    [​IMG]

3. angelxbites thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, there is no possible way it will boot from usb?
    and the option tab is not ther under the partion section so i wouldnt be able to make it guid/ that why i need help, thank you

4. simsaladimbamba

PPC Macs will not be able to boot from GUID formatted devices.
    And USB as boot interface is not supported with G4 Macs and in Puma.
    GUID was introduced with 10.4 during the switch to Intel, thus it shouldn't and wouldn't be an option in Puma.
    If you can't use optical media for any reason, you need to get a Firewire HDD and format it with Apple Partition Map as partition scheme and HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) as file system / format.

5. angelxbites thread starter macrumors newbie

okay a BIG thank you!! im just going to buy a mac os x..can leopard run on my imac 4g 256 memory 50gb harddrive i would love to have leopard

6. simsaladimbamba

7. angelxbites thread starter macrumors newbie

8. simsaladimbamba

The "About This Mac" window should tell you the CPU speed at least.
    System Profiler is located in Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities.