Help Installing 10.6.4 Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoostedAudi, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BoostedAudi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone for some reason when i install the 10.6.4 update on my 2006-2008 Macbook Pro 15'' for some reason during the install my laptop shuts down in mid installation ive tried everything from smc reset, pram reset, changing hard drive sleep times, veryfiying the hard drive is still working. Please someone help its driving me nuts!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Try downloading the 10.6.4 Combo Update, you can find it at this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048

3. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

okay ill download it and let you know how it goes.

4. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck any other ideas? Im really stumped now...

5. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

This maybe a stupid question, but is the charger plugged in?

The only thing that comes to mind is to wait for 10.6.5.

AnonMac50

6. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the charger is plugged in because it gives you a warning that says that apple recommends that the charger should be plugged in during the install, then when it starts installing about halfway it will say writing files and then it just shuts down, but if i dont install the update and install the other updates it goes perfectly fine, so im stumped, just thought i would throw in a little bit more info since apple support cant help me since im out of warranty -_-

7. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

That sounds as if it doesn't see the charger at all, but if it doesn't, then how have is it that you don't run out of battery. Does the charger light up? Try removing the battery but keep the charger in. Does the computer turn off? Do you have SmartSleep?

It might be a bad left I/O board.

Hope that helps.

AnonMac50

8. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually the charger does light up and charges the battery so i dont think thats the case, i think whenever i had bought my previous macbook 13' black some guy gave me a burned dvd of snow leopard, and i think that version was only made for that macbook and when i installed the update on my old black macbook it went through fine, but when i installed it on this it was a hastle now when i try to update it it just turns off can this be why?

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

The Black MacBook was discontinued in October 2008 and was replaced with the Aluminum MacBook (later renamed MacBook Pro 13"). Snow Leopard came in late August 2009, so it can't be the fact that its a MacBook disc. Did you use the same disc for both of them? I don't see how that will make a difference though.

Just a thought. Make a Time Machine Backup, then use the update you downloaded from :apple:'s site. Open it with Pacifist, and install it from there with Administrator privileges. Then repair permissions and restart. If it doesn't work, you can always restore from you Time Machine Backup by inserting your Snow Leopard disc, booting from it, and selecting restore from backup in the menubar.

Hope that helps.

AnonMac50

10. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Usually if the disc is not compatible you wouldn't be able to install Snow in the first place.

I have a Mac Laptop (Powerbook G4) and it never gives me that plug in warning while I am already plugged in, (However I am using 10.5 and that may have changed in 10.6) my guess is for some weird reason its charging the battery, but not providing any power to the Mac, or you have something more serious, can't really say though, it's just odd that message is coming up.

I doubt its the disc, but if you have the money I would suggest buying a legit copy of Snow, and do a clean install with that disc and try to update that way.

Or, if your still covered by Applecare, have Apple take a look at it, something about your situation doesn't seem normal.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Just get a $29 Snow Leopard-DVD and reinstall the system.

Else, check this.

12. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replys the reason why i was posting this is because i had bought a macbook from cl and it came with a burned copy of it and i think that copy was subjected only to those macbooks, but the thing that i forget to tell you all is that it was a pain the computer would shut down during mid installation like this update would when installing from that burnt dvd, thats why im wondering if that is the problem, because i beleive if i got a universal copy from apple then it would work fine pain free correct, sorry if i sound like a newb but just throwing out a few details, it took me approximatley about 6 times to install it without shutting it down.

13. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

You could try a new disc to be on the safe side, but there might be a problem with the battery in you MBP.

14. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

I thank you all so much for your help, but in snow leopard when i click on my battery it says service battery, but then again alot of people are having those problems so its not just me, i plan on getting a new battery anyways since this one has lost most of its charge overtime, but then again if you could help me with one more thing, i found a snow leopard disc at the store for around $30 and it says its the "new 10.6.3" is this a universal disc that i need?

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. That will work.

16. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You so much you guys are alot of help and a whole lot better than the apple forums, thank you all for your help i really appreciate yalls time.

17. HaPsantran macrumors newbie

Me too

I'm having the same issue and have an original 10.6.3 snow leopard disk. How can I use that to install the 10.6.4 update? Software Update keeps promting me to install 10.6.4 and I get the same shutting down effect when it begins writing.

18. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

An idea had just occurred to me. What if you installed the update from another Mac? Like Target Disc Mode or something?

19. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, did you get it fixed (10.6.5). If not, then try doing a Time Machine complete backup, and then erase the drive with a zero-out erase. Then do a complete restore. See if that works.

Hope this helps.

If this fixes it, then it is a problem with your Hard Drive's file system.

AnonMac50