Help!!! Installing a game...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grapefruit84, Aug 14, 2007.

1. grapefruit84 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the Mac World, and need a little help installing a game.

I just purchased Crazy Machines The Wacky Contraptions Game (compatible w/the Mac OSX 10.3 and up, I have a 10.4).

When I click on the icon on the desktop to install the game it tells me to choose an application to run the program. I have NO clue what to choose. :confused: I tried Apple Script and yeah, well that was wrong. I'm getting a little frustrated b/c I was really looking forward to playing this game. So now I'm bummed out. :(

Can somebody help me?? Please!!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a list of what I have in that folder:

autorun.inf
    cm.ico
    instmsi.exe
    instmsiw.exe
    setup.exe
    setup.ini
    setup.msi

Now like I said, I think I screwed up. I clicked on the autorun.inf and picked Apple Script to try and run it (b/c that seemed like a good choice :rolleyes:) and now it's not asking what application to run from for that icon. It's just telling me that's the WRONG choice. :eek:

Oh, and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for trying to help :D

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Those are Windows executables. Are you sure you have the OS X version?

5. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Front of the "box" says "Win Mac CD-Rom Software" the back has the combatibility for Windows and Macs and the CD case has "instructions" for installing it on a Window (much larger instructions) and a little blurb for MAC users. So I would have to say it should be ok.

I checked out their website and even looked through their tech-manual and there was maybe one little thing for mac trouble shooting, and it didn't have anything to do w/my problem. Did I get a funky disk??

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are the files that you just listed the only ones on the disc?

7. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think so. There can't be anymore "hiding" somewhere else right? This is so frustrating. *sigh*

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well most Windows/Mac compatible discs have two file systems so that each operating system will only see its own compatible binaries.

If you're only seeing the files you listed and no other folders then you only have Windows files there.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah you're looking at Windows files. You should call the game publisher and complain tomorrow.

10. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of doing that. I'm a little upset about it. It's hard enough finding MAC games at "stores" so when you do find one (that's not educational or for a 5 year old) it's a little depressing to get home and not be able to use it. :mad:

11. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

So does that typically happen? (There only be one set of files on a disk that should have both)

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You only see one set of files that would be operating system specific. I'd look on the disc itself to see if it says Mac as well or if there's another disc in the box.

I'd then call the publisher about it as well if you can't find any Mac specific files.

13. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

It only came w/one cd and the cd says both on it. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Thank you very much for the help. It's much appreciated. Maybe if I complain enough about how much of an inconvenience it was, they'll send me a replacement and another game or something :D Worth a try! (I bought it from Best Buy, and the nearest Best Buy is an hour away)

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do believe that a replacement disc is within the 90 day warranty most publishers offer on their media.

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Slightly off topic, but you'd be safer buying games from the Apple Online Store and having them mailed to you. You shouldn't feel the need to drive an hour to Best Buy. There's plenty of "real" Mac games out there.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't think I've ever found Mac software at my Best Buy stores. :eek:

Blizzard titles don't count. :p

17. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well we just happened to be there, I wouldn't drive an hour for a $10 game normally! :) It was one of those "while we're here" things.

But obviously that's the way I'm going from now on!

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Jst trying one more thing...

Are you sure the CD is not a "hybrid", i.e. inserting in your Mac results in 2 icons on the desktop?
    Maybe one part is meant for Windows only, and the second for Mac...?

19. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it only had one icon. I emailed the company. If they ever respond I'll post it if anyone's interested. We'll see what they do for me.

My thought is, even if Best Buy will replace it (and it was in a BIG stack of games, so I don't know if there was another one). How do I know it won't have the same problem?? I don't want to waste me time/gas to get another one and it STILL not work. If it comes down to that then I'll just use it on our PC (blah).