Help installing a new browser, this IE browser has to go!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Erinm9924, May 30, 2008.

1. Erinm9924 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me find and install a new browser that is compatible with my super old os x10.1.5. I am planning on updating my operating system and memory soon. I really need to get rid of this IE 5.1 browser that came with this computer. It is horrible, pages will not load and any game with java will not play. thank you all very much, im new to the whole mac thing and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Safari?
    Firefox?
    Camino?
    Opera?

Take your pick... Safari is the default for the system
    Others are download (google) for free and go

Are you saying they are not backwards compatible?
    If you are updating your system, they should all work.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IE 5.1? Are you using Classic? IIRC, the oldest MacOS X version of IE is IE 5.2. Even IE 5.2.3 is hopelessly out of date. For an OS as old as yours, you should probably use one of the Gecko-based browsers like Mozilla or Camino. However, I strongly recommend that you update your OS to the newest that you computer will support. Then you can run Safari, Camino, Firefox, or Opera.

4. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Go Firefox. Safari is good too though, but I mainly find myself using Firefox

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Still on Puma..?
    That's impressive...! :cool:

May I ask which hardware you are running that on?

But, to help answer your question: I would follow PlaceofDis' advice. :)

7. kayle12 macrumors member

Safari won't work on 10.1 I don't think it will work on anything less than Jaguar!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

correct, and thats if you can even possibly find it.

i'm sure you could find a version of firefox too, but Camino might run a bit smoother. same with opera.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

why are people suggesting Safari when the OP is running 10.1?

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That old apps site is cool. iTunes 1.1 still runs on Leopard! :D

I remember using it in 2001, when it first came out.

Attached Files:

11. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Ibook G3 600/128/20gb/cd. I dont have any idea what im doing here at all. It was given to me ive never used a mac before, but i do like what i see. I dont know if i should bother updating this computer or maybe just save up for a new one. I tried clicking on the link to download the new browser but it directed me to the newest version which is not compatible.

thank you all for your help and advice :)

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

how do i get iTunes 1.1 to run in Leopard? i keeps on saying that the plug-ins folder cannot be found? where did you install the plug-ins folder?

13. sine-nomine macrumors regular

That's almost the machine I am using right now. My 600MHz iBook came free from my father (who was going to throw it away!) with Jaguar, 256MB of RAM and a 30GB hard disk. I upgraded the RAM to the max 640MB and ran it like that for about two years, then when it came time to replace the inverter cable and reed switch (which tend to fail on these laptops), I dropped in a nice new 120GB Seagate disk and installed Tiger. It runs Tiger very well - it's not a speed demon, but it's fast enough that I don't feel a really huge need for a new machine. Anyway, get a 512MB stick of PC133 RAM and a copy of Tiger, and you'll have a good little machine on your hands. If you decide you like it, you might even go through the ordeal of putting in a new hard drive, or even a DVD drive.

PS - If you don't want to put in a DVD drive, you'll have to hunt around for Tiger on CDs, since the retail version was DVD only, and I'm betting Apple won't still send you the CDs.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I just double clicked on it straight from the image and then clicked cancel to skip the setup. Plugins folder should be in the same directory as iTunes itself. Library goes (bizarrely) in the documents folder.

It obviously won't read an iTunes 7 Library, so it isn't much use. But it was fun knowing it could run.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can't.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

because there is a mixed message of the OP's old system and the desire to upgrade

some are recommending for the old system
    some are recommending for when OP upgrades

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yeah, but iCab isn't free, and it bugs me to pay for something when there are others available.

wamcom.org is free and based on old Mozilla code. I've only read a little about it though, never tried it.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it actually does if you download from this link and follow elppa's instructions. you need a .bin unarchiver like The Unarchiver or Stuffit and then the .smi opens with Disk Utility.

Screencapture 5.jpg Screencapture 6.jpg

thanks! im in a retro mood and it runs great! it only accepts mp3, wav and aiff so i dusted up a few mp3s and sounds great but iTunes 7 has noticeable amount of more bass.

a few observations. preferences is "cmd+Y" instead of "cmd+,", its a carbon app so pressing help on my keyboard actually brings up the help app and theres a 'battery saver power mode' as shown below!? does iTunes 7 do this?

Screencapture 3.jpg

19. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I successfully downloaded Camino .8. Im so proud, I am getting the hang of this. I am stil having a problem with certain games. I think my java is out of date. Any advice :) Thanks again, you are all very helpful.

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ sorry for hijacking your thread Erinm9924… but good work though on getting Camino working on your ancient OS.

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you want to be adventurous, try to install Tiger on it. I think you'd like Tiger. But since it only has a CD drive and not a DVD drive, you may need to get your hands on an external firewire DVD drive for the install.

Also, do some Googling on how much memory that thing can take and max out the memory. Shouldn't cost much at all.

You should be able to find directions on doing the memory upgrade (taking apart the machine) on ifixit.com

22. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I wonder as well. Probably because:
    1. They did not read the OP's full post.
    2. Did not understand OP's post.
    3. Don't know that Safari wont run on Mac OS 10.1.

23. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the support and we can share the thread, sharing is caring :)

I am so impressed by how knowledgable everyone is here.