Help installing airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bdkmllhlk, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bdkmllhlk macrumors newbie

I bought a new modem today (ATT 2wire wireless router with modem). I am trying to install my airport extreme, but keep getting the dreaded flashing amber light and an error message telling me that the airport is not connected to the internet. I called apple and they suggested that the airport is not reading the IP address of the router/modem. Can anyone help? I've searched the internet for guidance to fix this problem, but haven't found anything. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As the modem seems to be also the router, meaning it connects to the internet via PPPoE, you AEBS is not needed to connect to the internet.

Have you made sure, that the modem/router is not connecting to the internet via its own setup? Or maybe it hasn't been setup yet, so it won't allow the AEBS to use the modem/router as just a modem and being the AEBS the router.

You need to be more specific what you did with the modem/router and what you did with the AEBS.

EDIT: After skorpien's comment about Bridge Mode, I found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515 .

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Easiest solution if you're okay with the 2wire doing the routing, set your AEBS to Bridge Mode. And as spinnerlys mentioned, more information would definitely help troubleshoot your situation. As it is now, this thread is way too vague to give any definitive solution.

BTW, if all else fails, make sure you unplug and replug your modem/router. A power cycle always helps when connecting a new router to the network.