Help installing El Capitan through Windows.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by knowhate, Jul 14, 2016.

1. knowhate, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016

knowhate macrumors regular

Hello. I did a very dumb thing and erased the main SSD in my 2009 Mac Pro to reinstall El Capitan.

After finding out my restore partition was not set up properly and that I had install discs to only Lion & Snow Leopard (both incompatible installers with my system now it seems) I went with the only option I saw and installed Windows 7 to somehow install El Capitan back onto my system.

I've spent the last two days trying to find out how to make a bootable USB installer of the El Capitan App file. I have downloaded a handful of programs like TransMac, PowerISO and MacDrive to try to make a bootable USB installer but with no luck. Does anyone know what to do?

Edit: This is the best tutorial I've found, but the USB still will not boot when pressing Option/Alt on Boot. http://pureinfotech.com/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/
    Now trying to find a way to convert El Capitan .app into a DMG to see if that works.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Do you have an Apple store nearby? They might be able to assist and it might not cost anything.