Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trojang35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Im trying to reinstall Leopard on my Power Mac g5 but my DVD drive is dead. What are my options to getting the OS reinstalled on the new hard drive.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
If you have Leopard installed on some other hard drive I'd put that one in too and install from there (or just clone it)!

I'm not sure how external DVD-readers work with an OS-install (with all the rebooting and so on), but I think that would be an option as well.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
An external DVD player will work fine. If you don't have one around, this might be a good occasion to buy an internal replacement for your G5. They are very cheap nowadays; I have seen them as low as under $20. The installation is quite easy.

If you do have another computer with Leopard running on it, firewire target mode is always an option.

trojang35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Ive tried a USB external DVD but i cannot get it to boot to it. Any other suggestions? I have access to MacBook pro.

trojang35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Is there any way to install leopard from a USB hard drive\flash drive. Sorry for all the noob question my first Mac.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
If both computers have firewire and you have/buy a firewire cable, you can put the dvd in the other computer and install in target disk mode.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
If both computers have firewire and you have/buy a firewire cable, you can put the dvd in the other computer and install in target disk mode.

I don't think that will work in this case because one machine is PowerPC and the other is Intel.

If you have an 8 gig flash drive, you can clone the install dvd to the flash drive, then use that to do the install.

trojang35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
I don't think that will work in this case because one machine is PowerPC and the other is Intel.

If you have an 8 gig flash drive, you can clone the install dvd to the flash drive, then use that to do the install.

Can I do that with a 40gb external HD? Any instructions on how to clone the drive?

trojang35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Thanks everyone.:D Got it installed. I used a USB enclosure and created 2 partions on my hardrive, cloned the osx cd to 1 partion. Installed the hard drive back into the G5 and booted to the OSX install partition.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
It does work. That's how I installed Leopard on my G4 (DVD drive is dead). The other computer was a Intel iMac running 10.6

Can you explain how you did that? It never worked for me.

Here's what I did. I guess one of the steps is wrong.

I boot the MacBook using a retail 10.5 disc (yes I know the difference).
I connect the hard drive (where I want to install OS X) to the MacBook using a SATA to USB converter (I will put the drive in my PowerMac after OSX is on it).
The MacBook sees my hard drive and lets me format it as Apple Partition Map.
But it won't let me install the OS on the drive. It tells me that drive is not formatted correctly.
I can format it as GUID and install OSX, but then the PowerMac can't boot from it.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Thanks everyone.:D Got it installed. I used a USB enclosure and created 2 partions on my hardrive, cloned the osx cd to 1 partion. Installed the hard drive back into the G5 and booted to the OSX install partition.

That's roughly how I did on one of my older computers and then I got stuck with two partitions since I couldn't merge them (Disk Utility told me it could only merge partitions on a disk that wasn't also the startup disk). I'm going to try and merge them from an OS-install disc in the future when I get my hands on a external DVD drive but... it's not my top priority nowadays. :)

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Can you explain how you did that? It never worked for me.

Here's what I did. I guess one of the steps is wrong.

I boot the MacBook using a retail 10.5 disc (yes I know the difference).
I connect the hard drive (where I want to install OS X) to the MacBook using a SATA to USB converter (I will put the drive in my PowerMac after OSX is on it).
The MacBook sees my hard drive and lets me format it as Apple Partition Map.
But it won't let me install the OS on the drive. It tells me that drive is not formatted correctly.
I can format it as GUID and install OSX, but then the PowerMac can't boot from it.

Ye I know of that problem. It's because you install from the intel Mac.

You need to connect the computers with a FireWire cable, and have the disk in the ppc computer already. Then start in target disk mode, and the ppc Mac will boot from the drive in the intel Mac via the FireWire cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.