Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I am replacing the 120gb drive in my MacBook Pro with a Hitachi 7k200 something tomorrow after I pick up Leopard. I want to use migration assistant to move over selected files (such as iTunes library, some apps, and my documents folder.

I do not want to upgrade, I want a fresh install of Leopard. I don't want to purchase the OWC firewire external enclosure kit w/firewire interface for the old drive just yet b/c of the price (blew all of my funds on that drive). I also have a 500 gig external that is only about 30% full to work with.

What would be the best way to get my files over safely and securely? Is it possible to safely create a new partition on my 500gb external with disk utility in Tiger without loosing any data on that disk, use carbon copy cloner to clone my boot drive and use migration assistant from there?

Also, will migration assistant give you the option of selecting which apps I want to move over?

Has anyone tried this? I have never used migration assistant.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.