Help installing Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Miiamo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Miiamo macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I am trying to install Mac OS X Leopard onto my iBook G4 Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
    Every time I try to install, it takes me to the select the language, okay, then it says
    "Mac OS X cannot be installed on the computer".
    I performed the installation exactly the way it should be done.
    I have the latest Firmware which was the only option I found to check if something like this happens.
    I have tried everything on the Troubleshooting webpage except the erase install, which I what I would like to do next, but I do not know how to do this.

Could someone please help me? I need help on why my Mac is doing this, or how to perform an erase install. Thanks so much.

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Does you iBook meet the minimum requirements for leopard?

* Processor must be any Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz and faster)
    * DVD drive (for installation of the operating system)
    * At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM (1 GB) is recommended for development purposes)
    * At least 9 GB of disk space available.

3. Miiamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does. I made sure of that.

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

It may be that you don't have enough free space on your hard drive. If you boot up from the leopard disc by holding c, like I'm sure you've been doing, then there should be an 'applications' menu in the menu bar, where you can run disk utility to erase the hard drive. Then you may be able to install ok.

5. Miiamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, gonna try that right now.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A bit surprised no one has brought this up, but this is a Leopard retail disk, with a black label and an X, correct? If it's a gray disc you cannot use it to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

7. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I didn't think you could boot from them at all if you weren't on the right model. I've tried it before a couple of times and the computer will recognize it as a CD/DVD but you can't boot from it.