Help installing mac os

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmahfouz, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmahfouz macrumors newbie

Hello,
    i'm new to mac world, i received a macbook as a gift from my friend, but it had windows vista installed os, when i tried to install mac os x 10.4 i get stucked.

the problem is:
    when i start macbook with alt pressed to enter the boot select, i can see a windows partition only, and the mac os x DVd is recognized as windows dvd, when i click on it, i receive a blak screen with a blinking cursor.
    i tried to remove the windows partition (nfts) and creating a FAT32 partition i receive the same error...

please help, if anyone can give me some solution it would be great...

thank you..

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

With the OS X disk in the drive, reboot the Mac holding down the C key. This will then start up from the DVD. Don't click the Continue button when the install window has loaded.

Go into Disk Utility (Utilities menu) and use that to reformat and partition the drive. Mac OS Extended Journaled for OS X. After that's done, you can continue to install OS X on your chosen partition.

4. jmahfouz thread starter macrumors newbie

i did restart holding the C key, but all i had was a black screen and a blinking cursor.
    i waited around 2 hours and nothing happened.... just the black screen...

.. what to do?

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Is it a genuine OS X disk? If not, it's probably not been burned correctly. Even if it has, buying a copy of OS X is a small expense in relation to the computer you'll end up with. Leopard costs £90.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What does the OS X DVD look like? Is it grey with white writing on it or does it look like this?

[​IMG]

7. jmahfouz thread starter macrumors newbie

well my DVD is not original, it's a copy, but i have used it to install Tiger on my Macmini and it worked fine there....

so i think there is no problem with the DVD...

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of Mac Mini? A G4 Mac Mini? If so, it won't work on the MacBook. Buy a copy of Leopard and please stop using copied or pirated software.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.