Help! Installing new SSD; Computer doesn't recognize Yosemite boot USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamVilde, Jul 9, 2015.

1. SamVilde macrumors regular

SamVilde

Hi - I guess there are better message boards for this, but - under the helpful advice of some nice people here, I just purchased a Crucial BX100 SSD for my perfectly-healthy 2008 aluminum Macbook.

I am not a techie, but it didn't seem too difficult. I made a bootable USB of Yosemite using diskmakerX. I have my time machine (and crashplan) backups. I didn't have a SATA-USB cord so I didn't make a clone, but I feel adequately backed up with multiple copies of my stuff.

Install seemed painless. Everything seemed fine.

But when I turn on the computer and hold down the <option> key, it starts up with no notice of my (Yosemite boot) USB. I get the little black arrow icon on a clean white screen.

I tried holding both the <option> and the <command> keys: I get the black apple logo (yay!) and progress bar for about 5 seconds - then the computer shuts down.

I plugged in the external with the time machine backup, holding down the <option> key. My drive's name and icon pop up (yay!) with an arrow below it. I click on that. I get the black apple logo (yay!) and progress bar for about 5 seconds - then the computer shuts down.

I feel like nothing is seriously wrong, but I seriously don't know what to try next.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

So frustrating because (1) I feel like I did all the things right, and (2) if I did all the things right, then did I just kill a fully-functional computer?

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hello again,

Is your previous install still intact, and have you done anything in Disk Utility yet? You did not kill your computer, it will get straightened out.

Is that USB installer known to function properly, in other words have you used it successfully in any other cases? I wouldn't advise using applications to create it as you've done - it can be done simply with a few terminal commands once you have the installer DMG from the App Store.

4. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

Hi @Dark Void - Thanks, I think I'm on my slow way, but I'm still in the jungle and don't know what to do. I created another startup disk on a tiny flash drive, and that worked. I've started the computer and am looking at disk utility - but I don't know how now to get Yosemite from the startup disk to the new hard drive.

The other version - the one that wasn't booting - was a straight installation disk, and I've had success with that on other computers, but not here.

Do you know what to do now? I don't know what a snack cake is, but I make homemade ice cream and bread and will happily trade for your assistance! Thanks!

5. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

At least it's good to *see* this new drive through disk utility - so it is hooked up right.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

This will do.

In Disk Utility, go ahead and begin formatting your internal SSD. You can erase it via the Erase tab and make sure you format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). You can avoid any other tabs and just select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) before erasing and after it is completed with the erasing of the drive it will mount it as such. Then, you can back out of Disk Utility, and begin installing via the installer, selecting the SSD as the destination.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Here is a way to make a USB Installer that I know works since I just used it this the past weekend.

Make Yosemite Install USB Drive

1. Grab a USB flash drive that's at least 8GB

2. Download Yosemite from the app store (should download to your applications folder - named Install OS X Yosemite app)

3. Open disk utility and do the following:
    -highlight the USB drive in the left column
    -click on the partition tab
    -select "1 partition"
    -click "options" and select GUID Partition Table
    -under name just type: USB (it will be renamed later)
    -under format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    -click "apply" and "partition"

4. Now open terminal (found under utilities) and paste the following into it:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

-just paste that into terminal and hit enter, it should ask for your password and then the OS will create factory restore media from the USB stick and the Yosemite installer you downloaded from the app store (Note: can take 30-45min depending on speed of flash drive so don't remove the USB drive or exit terminal until it says it's finished)

5. To boot into the installer, just restart the computer and then hold down the "option" key during boot to bring up the boot menu
    -select the Yosemite installer from the boot menu (can take quite awhile to load)

8. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

I guess I'm not being clear about the current status. Everything seems good, except that I only have Yosemite installed on the startup disk - which is a little flash drive. I need to get Yosemite onto the big new guy.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Right, but if you're at Disk Utility, you must have booted into the Installer via the option key, no?

10. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

OH! I think that's going to work! I'll check back in a minute!

11. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

Yes - I think this is going to work! Yosemite is installing on the new drive, the computer restarted with no USBs in it and everything is humming along. Final Qs (I hope):
    1. When Yosemite finishes installing then I can use ... which - migration assistant or disk utility - to install from my time machine backup?
    2. If I can't find the CDs, is my great old copy of MS Office '08 gone forever? Unless? Even if I find the CDs, would it recognize my computer as being the same computer and let me use the same license? That's the only thing I think I might lose.
    3. Where do I send ice cream and bread and snack cakes and beer?
    Thank you, @Dark Void , for talking me through this. Your patience and non-belittling confidence has been a big help.

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

1) Migration Assistant. This can be found in Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant. Just follow the prompts and connect the drive when prompted. It's very simple, but it may take a bit of time.

2) Is this something that you backed up? If so, it will be migrated along with all of your other applications and files. In any case you may be able to locate a downloadable copy off of Microsoft's website and use your own key. It should let you use the same license.

3) Lol =) I'd send my address if there wasn't potential for you to be an axe wielding marauder.

13. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

I might be. Well, I'm not. But the USPS doesn't appreciate people sending ice cream through the mail.
    On the other hand, last week I successfully brought a pint of homemade ice cream to the beach - still frozen after a 1.5 hour bike ride in 85 degree weather. So anything is possible.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't mind drinking melted ice cream through a padded envelope if that is what you're asking.

How are things turning out with your install?

15. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

The time remaining keeps going up! I'm sure it's just doing its thing and will be okay in an hour or two. I just hope it doesn't burn out the 6.8 year old fan.

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Regardless of what the time says, I would just figure it based on the progress bar. I've had installs complete accurately according to the bar but others have finished when it says something like 10 minutes remaining or what have you.

Feel free to post back or start a conversation/PM with me, I'd like to hear about your experiences with the SSD if you'd like to share. I hope it works out well for you.

17. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

t
    Thanks - I'll let you know. In the meantime, really, thanks again. This has been the hands-down best tech support I've ever experienced. I really appreciate it.

18. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Lol, tech support. :oops: How flattering.

You're very welcome.

19. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

It's all up and running! All programs came back with migration assistant - no loss whatsoever. I'm really impressed with Apple & Time Machine (I've never had to use it before). They brought over every single twitch and preference and icon ... except they *forgot (ha) that I don't want things like Apple Maps and Apple Reminders in my dock. But Quicksilver and smcFanControl started right up - amazing. I can't believe they even let me keep my icons for Apple applications (they dropped the finder/trash icons, though, but only those)!

So far it does seem a little snappier, but I'll have to play around a little to get a real sense of the difference. I hope we make it through another year like this!

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Glad you got it up and running, I'm sure you will be pleased with the SSD.