Help- installing office on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

I just got office 2008, home edition for my macbook. installd it and then did the "check for updates" and 12.1.0 came up. i click installed. its been a little over 10 min and it hasnt moved. it barely started. it says Preparing office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0)
    then underneath the downloading it says Running Autoupdate installer script.
    it hasnt moved in over 10 min... i read online that 12.1.0 causes problems so i tried to quit but it says the installer is in use... What should i do?

i dont think i need an update and i heard it causes problems so how do i stop the installation. it hasnt moved at all.

Thanks

2. mr.light macrumors 6502

You could try to Force quit. If it messes up Office you can always reinstall.

3. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

how do i force quit?

it worked.. forced quit... now is there anything i should do now? to make sure everything is ok? shut down to let it "relax", reboot? open the programs and see if they work??

thanks!

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I had the exact same problem re-installing office 08. I haven't tried installing it since, but I'm curious to hear if someone has any suggestions as to why this problem occurs.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Apple > Force Quit...

6. mr.light macrumors 6502

Option-Apple-esc. will force quit

7. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

it worked.. forced quit... now is there anything i should do now? to make sure everything is ok? shut down to let it "relax", reboot? open the programs and see if they work??

thanks!

and idk it did that... i think the update helps but nothing major.. for now i will leave it.. as long as theres no problems

8. mr.light macrumors 6502

Glad it's working for you. Just leave it for now. If it messes up then you can always reinstall.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

it should be that slow... mine was done with that step in minutes. if the apple menu bar isnt available to click, try option + cmd + esc to bring up force quit. good luck. if you don't care, dont install the updates, its just pos.

10. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

well i opened word and wasnt BAM it opened up, took longer then it should i think.. but hopefully that will change. but im going to work. should i shut it down since i downloaded office? this way it can do "relax" and be off for a few hrs?

now it loaded pretty quickly.. i think the update would make it faster but this seems fine...

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

aww that stinks. mine is just as slow. maybe a tiny bit faster, like 1 second or whatever. im off to lunch. good day to you all.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine is very fast--a minute or so, but if your internet isn't very fast, it will take a while. And also, sometimes it just takes a while for no reason, I would wait it out. If it doesn't finish in say--30 minutes, check out Activity manager to make sure the application isn't frozen. Alternatively, you can download the update from Microsoft directly.

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I installed Office 2008 yesterday along with 3 updates. The second update did the same thing, just stopped, with the blue line not moving at all. I finally minimized the screens and there was a small pop-up box that you needed to check to continue. Once I checked it, everything zipped along.

14. xianshell macrumors member

same problem

Tried a few times. Always the same result.

Any work arounds?

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE WORK AROUND!!!

16. xianshell macrumors member