Help Installing OS X!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cernstes, Jul 8, 2014.

1. cernstes, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

cernstes macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a Macbook Pro and about two weeks ago it was working fine. I went to the park two weeks ago and brought my laptop to work on some files in Microsoft Word. I was there for about two hours total.. I was sitting in a shade, but it was still somewhat humid out. (don't know if this has to deal with it)...

Anyhow, later that night I get home and it takes literally like ten minutes to get to the desktop and when I would move the cursor it would take five seconds for it to respond and when I opened up Firefox it would just freeze up and I would be forced to shut it off manually...

So the first thing I did was go into safe mode so I could back up all my files. I backed them up through mediafire.com and I never got around to actually trying to fix my laptop til now. When I went into safe mode, the laptop seemed to work fine. Then I would try to go back to the normal mode and it would just go extremely slow so I decided deleting all the content and reinstalling os x would be the best and most simplest way to fix whatever the problem was.

So I went into recovery mode from the startup, deleting all the contents from the disk utility, and then afterwards went to reinstall mac os x, but every time I try to install it I get a prompt that says "Mac 10.7 OS X is not available", then I go back to the recovery mode menu. I do have an internet connection so I know that is not the problem. I am confused why I can not install the OS. Also I have a disc of OS 10.6, but when I input into my laptop it just ejects.. It will eject for any disc you input it so I am confused on what to do..

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to an external optical disk drive (ODD) to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from?
    Do you have an Apple Store nearby? They allow you do download the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion installer or give it to you.

PS: Using paragraphs or breaks would make your post that much more readable than it is now. Now it is just a wall of text many with the right answers do not care to dive into.
    You can use the EDIT button to edit your post, if you want to.

3. cernstes thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have an external optical disk drive, but I may be able to borrow one from my school...maybe...

There is an Apple Store nearby, so I could do that. Would it cost money to do that and if so would you have any idea of how much?

4. simsaladimbamba

If you bought Mac OS X 10.7 Lion legally or it came with your Mac, it will cost nothing but the cost of a USB flash storage thumb drive, if you can proof it via Apple ID or a receipt.
    As for how an Apple Store can help you, call them.

And if your computer is able to run OS X 10.9 Mavericks and you do not have anything against it, it will go much smoother.

If you can only install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion due to hardware limitations, and I recommend at least using that OS instead of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, there is the need to buy it.