Help installing ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by penguin09, Oct 15, 2007.

1. penguin09 macrumors newbie

I bought new ram for my macbook pro today. I'm 100% sure it's compatible since I checked before and after I ordered, but my computer refuses to boot up with it in. I followed the instructions and after installing my original stick and the new stick, the sleep light just blinked. That usually means the ram isn't stuck in far enough I read so I pushed the sticks in farther and still no go.

I'm pretty sure I'm putting them in right, because I can take out the new ram and boot my computer up fine. I've tried using the original ram in both slots- works fine. I've tried just using the new ram in either slot and I can hear the computer make the noises as though it'll start up but the screen remains black (no blinking indicator light). When I put both sticks in, I get the blinking light. Does it seem like the ram is just bad then? And also, any other suggestions because I'd rather not have to send this back in. Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's at least possible to buy RAM that, though apparently meeting the necessary specs isn't actually compatible. This is a little more common with OSX, because it's pretty picky about RAM.

But if it IS the right kind, or you bought it from a reseller that guarantees it'll work with your Mac, then it's probably just a bad stick. It does happen--I recently got two (in this case for a Windows box, same symptoms) from a usually reliable vendor.

3. Parsec macrumors member

You can buy RAM from any vendor and stick in a Mac as long as the specs are correct. So, if they are and you still have problems, it might be defective. I've had that happen once on a Windows machine also. Perhaps you know someone else with a MBP to check this.

Later, Parsec.

4. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Will these work to update to 4GB?

Centon 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz 200pin SODIMM DDR2 Memory Module.