Help installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on new SSD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ruhollah glare, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ruhollah glare macrumors newbie

Hi, here's the present situation.

SSD INSTALL
    - switched original HDD with new SSD in 2012 MBP
    - booted with CCC clone from external hard drive, to format SSD to HFS (journaled)
    - after format, SSD is recognized in CCC and Finder

INSTALL PROCESS
    - during restart brand new Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disc will not boot after several tries
    - got frustrated and started CCC cloning process, after which if successful, I'll do a clean install.
    - looks like CCC will take a long, long time (USB 2.0 external hdd)

So, why did my Snow Leopard disc not boot, and what can I do to get it to work? It gets stuck on the white screen with the grey apple, with no progress bar.

Tia

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That machine is too new for Snow Leopard. Use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mac OS X 10.8 or higher.

3. ruhollah glare thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that the simplest approach? I'm seriously not too bright. Was told to install 10.6.3 so I can upgrade to 10.10.2.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

That's the only approach, unless you have a USB installer for 10.7.5 or newer.

5. ruhollah glare thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help so far. :cool: I seemed to recall I needed a more current Snow Leopard than 10.6.3 in order to upgrade, so was surprised when two sources pointed me to the 10.6.3 disc.

So looks like the CCC clone installed--looks like my system is intact and is working now.

Im assuming your direction to use Internet Recovery, is if I wanted to, at this point, do a clean install?

Obviously I need better preparation before I go through this exercise again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not if the Mac will not take 10.6, as this one won't as MBPs came with 10.7 from Oct 2011.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

You misunderstood what I wrote, which admittedly could be clearer. The OP was asking if he needed to use internet recovery, which is what I was replying to.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine