Help installing Snow Leopard on Intel SSD needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CDutch, Apr 19, 2010.

1. CDutch macrumors regular

I'm trying to install OS X on an Intel X25-M SSD. I'm at the point where it asks to select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X but no disks are showing as available. I can see that the computer recognizes the Intel SSD in Disk Utility but it says it's not formatted. Is that the issue? Any assistance is appreciated.

2. man02195 macrumors regular

Did you partition and format the ssd?

3. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

You will need to format the disk first. Click on the disk under Disk Utility, select Erase and under Volume Format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You can name your disk anything you like.

CAUTION : DOING THIS WILL ERASE ANY DATA ON YOUR DISK. Make sure you first back up anything you need on the disk to an external storage device before proceeding.

Good luck ! :)

4. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Then select Erase...?

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

As others have said, run Disk Utility. You don't really need to use Erase, can just go to Partition and select Volume Scheme, put 1 partition, name it whatever you want and Format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), click Options and make sure its set on GUID.

Hit Apply and you should be good to go.

6. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Random question....I thought SSDs were supposed to be silent. I can hear it make some noises...like when data is being written to it. Kind of sounds like a squeak or something Sort of weird. Is that normal?

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah in a very quiet room with your ear close to the casing you can hear sort of high pitched electronic noises from SSDs. They are much, much quieter than HDs, but not completely silent.

8. Lyshen macrumors 6502

That should be within operating parameters, its the electrical coils making the electrical noise. Fairly common on high end video cards when playing games from my experience.

I don't hear any noise from my current SSD, but an old one I had did, OCZ Apex.

9. pricej636 macrumors 6502

There are no moving parts, thus its basically impossible for them to make noise.

10. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Oh yes the Partition method will work as well (honestly speaking I forgot about it but if you're not using a new SSD maybe you'd want to erase it first).

Btw, I'm curious to know what your setup is. Are you using a MacBook Pro ? How is your SSD attached to your computer ? Did you replace the DVD bay with it ? Or are you just installing SL from the OSX discs on a single SSD ?

11. Lyshen macrumors 6502

@pricej636
    Electronics can make noises even without moving parts, its just a question of how loud and what frequency is the electrical noise.

@Gorilla Power
    Not sure who your question is directed at (probably OP), but my specs are in my sig. I swapped out the HDD for the SDD and kept the optical bay. Installed OSX via the discs, it went pretty fast.

12. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Ah I was asking the OP but your feedback is also most welcome. So just to make sure I get this right when I do it - when you pop in your blank SSD for the first time, do you hold down the Alt / Option key and boot from the OSX DVDs to install Snow Leopard ?

I ask because I'm not aware of how the computer handles a blank hard disk.

13. RqThrottle macrumors member

I'd be interested to know this too. My guess you would turn it on with the new SSD inside, hold the 'option' key, pop in the SL DVD and select it.

It may not be that exact procedure, but I don't think I'm too far off...

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

With a completely blank drive you just need to format it as Mac OS X Extended before you can install OS X. So yeah, what you need to do is just pop in your Snow Leopard DVD and it will automatically boot to it (since the boot drive is empty, it looks for alternate boot devices).

Then when that finally loads you can go into Disk Utility on the DVD and format the SSD, and then return to the installer screen and select the SSD to install Snow Leopard to. It's no different than if you had a blank hard drive.

15. RqThrottle macrumors member

Many thanks!

16. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I'm getting an intel x25-m tomarrow and remember reading somewhere that you want to do a few other things during the install. I remember updating firmware, disabling some stuff and maybe resetting PMU or something. Did some searching and can't seem to find the source of this information. Can anybody shed some light on this. Thanks

Edit: I should mention its for the 2.8GHz Uni Macbook Pro.

17. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

one could also argue, that any sort of concept of electrical flow requires movement at a subatomic level, but we won't go there.

electricity makes noise. it's a concept most people don't get, but it exists.

lightning would be a prime example, through the method that it makes noise is indirect typically.