Help installing SSHD on White MacBook (save me from boot failure)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by idrinkwater, Aug 17, 2014.

1. idrinkwater macrumors newbie

So the 2.5 year old 1tb hard drive on my late 2008 white macbook died, and like I have done before, I purchased a new drive, installed and chose to restore from a backup. What's different about this time, is that i'm using a SSHD. This one to be exact

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408287335&sr=8-2&keywords=sshd

I stuck the new HD in an enclosure, plugged it into a working mac, and partitioned to a single, extended (journaled) partition. Then, I installed into my computer, stuck the leopard install disc in, and chose to restore from my time machine backup. 750 gigs of transfer later, I reboot, and get this

[​IMG]

I tried what it says, to restart, but I just keep getting the same message. I have no idea what's wrong. My only solution is to wipe the drive, do a clean install, and use migration assistant to bring files over. Does this sound like a good plan, or can the problem I'm having booting be fixed somehow? The computer was running Snow Leopard when it crashed. Given that it's a 2.4 gigahertz late 2008 white macbook, what's the latest OS that it can run? Any help would be appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

What current Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard version is on the new drive?
    The 2008 MacBook came with version 10.5.2, thus you should have at least version 10.5.3 installed on that new drive.

As for what maximum OS version, it is 10.7.5, but with some tricks you can get OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion onto it.
    Maybe just get a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD from Apple to use that quite fine OS.

3. idrinkwater thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the helpful reply.

does anyone know about the error i'm getting?