help installing tiger on an external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xtn, Jul 29, 2008.

1. xtn macrumors regular

hey guys,

i just bought an external hard drive i want to use for movie editing. how can i partition it, and install tiger on it?

also, can i partition it so that i have it separated into thirds? one for osx, one for final cut studio, and one for all my video files? thanks in advance.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

To answer the 2nd part of your question, yes, you can use Disk Utility to partition your external hard drive to store all of your files.

Now, installing Tiger on it? I don't even know if that is possible.

3. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

4. Latro macrumors member

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can partition it, but realize that it won't make much difference in your speed of performance. You can improve performance by putting your System and your video data onto different physical drives.

Partitioning will wipe out all data on the drive, so make this decision first.

You can install Tiger from the DVD onto any USB or Firewire hard drive attached to the machine, just boot from the DVD and run the installer, and choose the external drive as the target.

If you have a pre-Intel Mac, the external hard drive has to be Firewire. Intel Macs can use either Firewire or USB 2 drives as boot drives.