Help installing Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by DoNoHarm, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Macrumors people, I've managed to install Ubuntu before on a chromebook, but I want to see what Ubuntu feels like on a more capable machine and I can't seem to get it to install on my mid 2009 macbook pro (model 5,3). I've followed the commands here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-3/Precise

I'm booting from a DVD and trying to install a single boot setup. I get the initial screen where there are two icons at the bottom that seem to look something like a little man and a keyboard? Anyways, then that screen disappears and I get one little garbled white character in a red square 4cm to the right of the top left corner of my screen and it just stops there.

Does anyone know what I can do to move past this? I reformatted the disk before installing, will the type of formatting I do possibly effect the process?

Thanks for your help!

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I've just dual booted win 7 & Ununtu! Liking it, I read somewhere in my research that it's best to have your primary OS first and Ubuntu alongside it. Is that possible with Mac OS?