Help installing Windows 8.1 Pro on late 2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ZebraTalent, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ZebraTalent macrumors member

ZebraTalent

Hey all,

I am trying to install Windows 8.1 on an late 2011 MacBook Pro.

I set up a USB installer through Bootcamp. Then I installed Windows 8 through an iso.

That all works fine. But when I restart the Mac and go through the Windows installer. It gets to the point in the setup when I have to choose a partition. I choose the BOOTCAMP partition, but it doesn't let me click 'next'.

I have tried clicking 'format' and that doesn't work. I have tried clicking 'delete' and then 'new' and that doesn't work either.

I have also tried loading back into Mac OSX and using Disk Utility to erase the HD and then formatting it as exfat, to no avail either.

I have also tried setting up a partition, NOT using Bootcamp assistant, and just loading Disk Utility and partitioning the HD that way. But nothing seems to let me get past the Partition selection when I am in the Windows installer! :(

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try? It would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Do you by chance have more than one storage drive installed, like one in the superdrive bay? If so, you'll need to disconnect it during installation.

3. ZebraTalent thread starter macrumors member

ZebraTalent

I've only got the one HD installed that came with the laptop

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

When you say install from iso, what do you mean? Can you burn it to a DVD and try installing that way?

5. ZebraTalent thread starter macrumors member

ZebraTalent

Yeah I could definitely try that. I was trying to install it from a USB installer, because I don't have any re-writable DVDs to burn to. Will probably be just as easy to buy an installer DVD off eBay to be fair! Was just hoping to do it with a USB installer as it would be quicker than waiting for an eBay delivery!

6. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

It’s a bit of a long shot, but the DVD installer was the only way I ever had luck installing Windows on an older Mac.