Help installing Yosemite on new HDD, only offering Lion!?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by davidg4781, Jul 10, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I recently picked up a new (to me) mini. I wiped the HDD and I'm trying to install Yosemite using Internet Recovery but the only option I'm given is to install Lion.

Do I need to do that then go through the update to Yosemite?

Also, for some reason, there's no sound coming from it. I"m not sure why yet but I'm not hearing the boot chime, so maybe I'm missing something.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Do you have a spare 8+ GB flash drive and another Mac? If so, you can download the Yosemite installer and create a bootable drive to install Yosemite directly on the Mini.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I do, is that the only option? I guess that's better than downloading Lion then Yosemite.

I don't remember having this issue when I wiped the drive on my MBP. Is this how it always is with older hardware or if I go through the updates it'll let me do Internet Recovery from Yosemite?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

See this Apple Support article on Internet Recovery. Specifically, this part:

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahhh, thanks! I tried searching Google but I guess I wasn't using the right terms. Everything came up about how to downgrade to Mavericks.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

My Mac Mini does not make a boot chime also, but all sounds work perfectly after boot up. That seems to be normal for Minis.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Uh oh. I was planning on using the speakers in the LED Cinema Display but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. They don't sound that good.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

No, that definitely is not normal for Minis, or any Mac. They should definitely make a startup chime, but may not if the sound was set to mute the last time it was booted.

9. CoastalOR, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Thank you chrfr for the information. I bought a new Mac Mini March 2015 for my wife and it never made a start up chime, which was not a big deal to me, so my experience was that the Mini does not make a boot chime. I guess I better contact Apple.

UPDATE: I did a PRAM reset and the boot chime now works.

10. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

Hi, is there any difference between bootable USB disk made this way and a disk made with DiskMaker?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... same end result.

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

They SHOULD be the same but if you have a need for the recovery partition some have found the command line to be more reliable. I've been using the command line tool since Mavericks came out.

13. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko