Help: Insurance Issues- Person Evading

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ipodlover77, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys,

im in a bit of a jam here. About 2 weeks ago, i got into a accident. This driver went into a do not enter lane. After realizing he went into a do not enter lane, he reversed into my lane, covering almost 80% of it. I swerved hard, managed to avoid a HUGE collision, and we nicked bumper to bumper (because of the swerve). We got out the car, he apologized, said it was his fault, exchanged info etc etc. I asked him if we should call the cops but he said because it was so small, that we should be fine.

I had all his info, numbers and address, so i felt good.

I went through the usual steps. Filed a claim with his insurance, they sent out an adjuster, got an estimate for my damage etc etc. This is the effed up part, while i worked with them, doing statements and such, he's been AWOL. He's been avoiding all calls from his insurance agent and won't pick up my call. His agent informed me that they called his father, sent letters, emails, but there is no reply. The agent then told me about this stupid clause where if the client doesn't comply with the agent within a certain time frame that they relinquish all liability and makes the client handle the situation. The thing is, the client is unable to even get in contact so if he's liable for the damages now, he won't do anything. Its safe to say he is trying to duck out and avoid paying. If his insurance agency relinquishes the liability to him, I'm screwed at the end because im sure he'll just continue to do what he's doing, which is disappearing.

ANY ideas on what to do? He's a Michigan resident. I def should have waited for the cops that day.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can tell you it is BS that they put it on the client. I would say contact your insurance company about it because often times they will step in and force it to be solved. I have been hit before. Contacted my insurance company and they handled all it of it in dealing with the other insurance company. Big time since the other company was crap and try to dodge everything.

Lets put it this way they are lieing to you and giving you the run around. The fact that he is dodging them should speak volumes to them.

3. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Your insurance company is the one who has take care of it, not you. And you should have call them when the accident happened.

Call your insurance company, they should have experience with mayhem... like you!

At least the other guy is hiding and that goes against him in court.

4. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Another vote for asking your insurance to deal with it.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is why you call the cops and get a police report on file.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree with other who said contact your own insurance company and let them deal with it.