HELP!!! InvisibleShield Nightmares!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ordo1980, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ordo1980 macrumors member

Ok, I'm too pissed off right now to make this long. So long story short - I got my order yesterday in from apple (MBP and iPod), and then I immediately put shields on my new MBP 13" and iPod Nano 16gig (BTS promo purchases) ... as soon as I received them. So yeah, I finished with the nano application at about 7:30/8pm last night, and right now, it doesn't even turn on. I finished with the mbp application last night at around midnight. Right now, my mbp boots up and works fine, but the mouse pad button doesn't work. Well, it sorta works. The cursor moves perfectly, but when I press the mouse button/pad down to click, that doesn't work. I'm running around my house screaming and cursing Zagg right now. I've put these shields on past ipods before with no problems ever. I didn't spray my equipment with loads of the application spray or anything, and I had a paper towel on standby all the time ready to soak up any excess moisture when I needed it. This is making me NUTS. What the heck do I do? Call Apple immediately, lie, and exchange? I'd imagine Apple will say this is my fault and it's because of the shield. My mbp is BTO, I got the 2.26 with 4gigs RAM. My iPod is engraved. HELP!!!! AHHH!!!!!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ouch. Clearly something happened. Might not help but have you tried to take off the shield on the trackpad and see if it works? I doubt that you putting on the shield would make it stop working. Either you let some of the liquid seem through without you knowing or it just stopped working as a coincidence.

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

It sounds like some liquid got in during the invishield application. You might want to give it a little bit more time to dry out. Put it in a warm well ventilated place for a 12-24 hours and see if things improve.

4. mrj205 macrumors regular

OK, for one, don't post identical threads multiple times. This doesn't make anyone answer quicker, but only frustrates other users as it appears you are over aggressive and impatient. Relax, someone will eventually look into your problem with you.

For one, did you attempt to use either the MBP or the Nano before applying the shield? If yes, did they both work properly? If no, then you can't really know if the items were defective or the shield caused the problem.

Was there too much moisture when applying? If so, this may have caused some shorting of various circuits, rendering both not working properly. I take the shields off and would eat the loss on if I were you. Then make sure there is no apparent water damage. Then call Apple and see what they may do for you. I admit, that sucks, but there is not way to tell what caused the problems...

5. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry for the multiple posts. Right now I have my macbook in my bedroom open with a fan blowing air on it, directly toward the mouse pad area. This is what is odd. Yesterday I turned it on real quick just to play a bit and changed the setting to touch click. This worked fine, and even worked today. And just a bit ago before I posted I changed it back and boom, pushing doesn't doesn't execute a click whereas it did yesterday. I just would think if it was moisture perhaps that the mousepad wouldn't work at all, but it does work. I'm just not using it for right now until I figure out what to do. Maybe I should wait longer and see if it just needs to dry? I removed the skin entirely from my nano, and I looked, and there is NO apparent moisture damage. I don't know how one could tell, but looking at the screen, it's not like there is moisture sloshing about behind the screen. How else could I tell? I'm taking the shield off the mousepad on my macbook right now. I'm monitoring this thread on my cell phone too. I'm trying to stay calm, but I have been wanting this stuff for a long, long time, and am really upset. Sorry again for the duplicate post in the tips area. I'm just really upset. :(

EDIT: I just took the shield off the trackpad and it didn't help the issue. As usual, the cursor works just fine, but pushing the pad does nothing. I noticed that maybe the top half-inch or so of the pad doesn't push in. Is this normal? I thought 100% of the trackpad was supposed to be able to be pushed to use as a button. But the very top of the pad is hard and cannot be pushed in. But in any case, pushing everywhere else does not execute a click. And again, no apparently moisture damage at the trackpad area. Ideas? Maybe just let it sit longer? If it comes down to having to call Apple, when should I do it and what should I tell them? Would I be best to not mention the invisibleshield? Like I said, this stuff is all fresh. So fresh that peeling of the shields on my ipod and trackpad was only a matter of my fingernail and then pull. iPod was very easy to remove. Should I maybe just wait a bit longer for any trapped moisture to evaporate or do I have a problem? Is it ok in my room in front of a fan or should I take it outside? A bit warmer and it is windy out. Thoughts?

6. goMac macrumors 603

Did you try using your devices before the installshield was applied? You could have just been really unlucky and gotten two bad devices...

7. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

The top half of the trackpad does not click in, just the bottom part where the button was on the old machines.

Keep us posted to what happens.

8. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I ran my mbp to ensure it wasn't doa and that I had no damaged pixels. I did the initial setup and such. The mousepad functioned normally. Ipod turned on fine. I checked and then applied. But like I said... There's no apparent water damage on either the nano or the mousepad. No moisture behind the nano screen or anything. And the pad works fine except the pushing to click function. But then I don't know how programs or anything work since I can't execute anything.

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Did you spray alot of fluid on the ipod before the installation? What part of the iPod does the protector cover?

10. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely not. I sprayed nothing on the ipod itself. Like I said I've used these shields on other ipods and never a problem. The shield is the full body wrap around. All excess moisture was drawn away from openings and/or soaked up with a paper towel. I since have removed the shield and had the ipod in my room in front of a fan for the past hour or so.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the trackpad is working, it's probably a software issue. Try a PRAM and SMC reset.

12. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hmm strange... so the iPod worked before, and after installation it wouldn't even turn on?

May be really stupid, but is the lock button on?

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Computers shouldn't be over-protected like that. No wonder they died.

14. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry but I'm way new to macs and have no idea what or how to do a pram or smc reset. Lifelong windows user. But how would I do that if I can't click? Is there a way to keyboard shortcut my way to changing my prefs back to tap to click? Cuz then it works perfectly and I could at least try doing those resets or maybe a software update. I haven't done a thing to it yet. Haven't setup my wifi even yet.

As for the ipod no ... The hold switch isn't the issue. :p. And that's correct. It doesn't even turn on. :(

15. caonimadebi macrumors regular

your ipod is probably liquid damaged. Your only hope may be to submerge it in a tub of rice, and pray that it completely dries out in a few days (best not to touch or charge it for now). Otherwise, your ipod may be gone for good, and you may just have to take the comfort that all you had to pay was the tax.

As for the mbp, it'll probably be okay in a few days. Having applied the BSE skin (identical to IS) myself, you probably didn't introduce liquid to where the Liquid Submersion Indicators are, which is around keyboard (the skin is applied to the top and bottom case, and optionally on the palm rests). Just send it in to Applecare if the problem persists.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I look after my MBP 2.4Ghz classic, hardcase and sleeves etc, however I do question shrink wrapping the machine in plastic the requires some type of liquid applicator.

One of the differentiating physical aspects of MBP ownership is the feel of the aluminum case, if I wanted to touch a plastic case, I would by a computer made that way in the first place, why are so many obsessed with, preserving, protecting, sterilizing their Mac`s?

I would simply try to enjoy the computer for what it is, a beautifully designed, technically advanced system executed in a small form factor, and stop obsessing, you buy things, use them, they wear, and you eventually replace them, the cycle repeats...

Q-6

17. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so using an external mouse i got it back to touch to click. and the pad works perfectly. I'm still using the mouse though, trying to leave the pad alone. So if i really got liquid in there wouldn't it be that the entire pad doesn't work then? i don't see how i could damage simply one aspect of its use. the ipod is still dead, but im just leaving that sit in front of my fan. I wonder how much it would cost to repair it. and there still are no apparent signs of water damage to it. it looks fine. ugh.

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Google "reset PRAM" and "reset SMC"

The first support.apple hit for each search is what you want.

19. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Op sounds like youre about to pass out. panicking isnt going to help. You're going to need a LOT of patience (whic doesn't seem like you have much) and let your products dry. The more you try and click, the more chances your giving the water to conduct the electric circuit

But that brings up another topic I also wanted to say. About the invis application solution, I myself actually put a LOT of solution, like CRAZY amount, i almost drench my GBP. But Ive never run into problems. Ive also helped applied my friends MBP and Ipod and such and always applied a LOT of solution (cause it helps make application a LOT easier)

So... your best bet is to WAIT and let it dry. If it still doesn't work, just take off the invis, dont tell apple anything about you trying to apply invis. Just say it stopped working (waiting to get flamed by a buncha goodie apple fanboys)

20. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

Solid reply man, I'm using it right now but with an external mouse. I'll just walk away from it for a bit. How long do you think I should wait? I'll wait for as long as it takes. I just want to know what a reasonable amount of time would be to wait? Just until i go to school in august? My school is an authorized apple repair shop, they do service there on the spot, at least as much as an apple store i'd imagine. Obviously both products will still be under warranty for a year. I take it having bought it on the phone that I'm automatically enrolled in apple care for a year, correct? Okay, I'm walking away from this machine for now. I'll check in with my blackberry though. Let me know how long you think I should wait. Thanks.

21. ordo1980 thread starter macrumors member

YES!!!!!!! Just to let everyone here who replied know ... I had my iPod in front of my fan all day long, really since last night. The screen was still dead. But just to see if the computer would even recognize it, I just plugged it in with the usb cable to my old hp that i'm typing on and boom!! it was recognized and the screen is beautiful and perfect!!! I KNEW it couldn't have been blown, I def didn't use as much fluid on this as my old ipods, but who knows. Anywhoo, everything is all better with my ipod. But yeah... my mbp is the other thing...

The pad for push to click still doesn't work on my mbp. I honestly don't really care since I plan to use an actual mouse, and am right now anyways, and i like the touch to click way better than pressing on anything. BUT, I'm the type who doesn't like something not working 100% correctly. Now, on my MBP, I DEFINITELY used WAY less fluid than even on my nano, which is working. So do you think it would just be a matter of another day? Maybe not use my mbp at all tomorrow (and for any critics ... when I have used it today, I barely touched the trackpad, i tested it twice today, which was about what i did for my nano, although today, third time was a charm), and set up my mbp, open lid, with the fan blowing at the trackpad all day? Maybe go out and see harry potter and buy an incase sleeve to get out and not worry about the mbp?

Or rather, could it somehow be a legit problem? Has anyone had a trackpad failure randomly after it was working? Since I don't have an ipod problem, maybe should I call in to applecare (remember, just received it in the mail yesterday) and see if there is some sort of diagnostic thing to do? Any expert apple users here know of specific tests or protocols to do to help with the trackpad problem? I thought I did the smc (was it?) reset but I couldn't tell if I did it right. I have yet to try the pram (is it?) reset. I'm sorry for my lack of mac knowledge, I just don't know these terms. But that's why I'm on this forum, you guys know way more than I do, absolutely. Thoughts on this trackpad thing?

Oh, and waiting vs. calling applecare is doable as well, I'm going back to school at the start of august, and my campus computer store is an authorized apple repair center so I could just take it to them. But do you guys think I should just phone in to Apple? Maybe let it dry and not use it for a day or two before calling in?

22. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I had something similar happen with my MacBook's trackpad when it got wet.

I work for a software company, and one day I had to record a video tutorial for one of the apps we sell. The app in question is an app for managing your pet's paperwork, etc, and I thought it'd be a nice idea to demonstrate a feature by taking a picture of my dog in Photo Booth and dragging it in the app.

You can see the video here. The recording went fine - my dog sat in front of the MacBook and I took his picture. Just after recording, though, he decided to lick the trackpad! It wasn't a big slobbery lick and I immediately cleaned off the liquid, but the trackpad didn't work properly - when you'd "tap to click", the trackpad would keep the click held!

Anyway, I just left it to dry out for a couple of days, and it started working fine again.

23. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I hope the trackpad starts working for you again, because I just saw this article in another thread:

http://hardmac.com/news/2009/07/16/more-details-on-the-immersion-sensors-of-apple

Specifically this part:

Liquid submersion indicators (LSI) have been added to specific locations on current Mac portables and desktop keyboards to help determine if systems have been exposed to liquid. Damage due to liquid exposure is not covered by the Apple one (1) year limited warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)....
    The indicators trigger only with direct contact to a liquid. The indicators will not be triggered by temperature and humidity that is within the product's environmental requirements described by Apple. A triggered indicator will turn red or pink, as shown in the examples below, indicating that the module(s) to which the indicator is attached has been exposed to liquid.
    Important: If you see a triggered LSI, inspect all adjacent modules for liquid damage. Components or modules that do not work due to liquid contact are not eligible for warranty service. Furthermore, the resulting damage may be so extensive that the cost of repairing the product may exceed the cost of replacing the product. Inform customers about this possibility.
    Customers are responsible for the costs of servicing products that are damaged as a result of liquid contact. This includes, for example, the cost of replacing keyboards that stop working due to liquid spills.

The article actually talks about how the sensors may be overly sensitive, but nonetheless I thought about your situation when reading, looks like theres those little sensors underneath all of the keyboard.

24. dlo604 macrumors member

That's what I thought about when I read about it being a liquid damage. I don't think any huge computer manufacturer would cover water / liquid damage at all.

Apple would not cover your damage if this is the case under the AppleCare policy.

25. McGilli macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with a Nano and the Zagg shield a while ago - what happened (i saw this) was a tiny drop of the solution - when i was squeegeeing the excess off of it - rolled into the dock connector area and touched inside. after that - it was totally dead for about 24 hours. then it was fine once it had all dried itself....

Good stuff!