HELP!! iOS 5 Beta Removal

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cwegrecki, Oct 20, 2011.

1. cwegrecki macrumors newbie

I used the iOS5 beta and now that the public release is out my iPhone locked itself because apparently i can't use the beta. I upgraded my iTunes to 10.5 and when I did a sync with my mac it said that your phone iOS has expired and must be upgraded however when I hit ok it took me to the update screen and said this device is already running the latest version of iOS 5.0

Please help all I can do is make emergency calls now!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. cwegrecki thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry but I am new to the dev. program and not sure what you mean by DFU??

Thanks for your speedy reply

Found It and am trying now!!

What is iPhone DFU mode?
    DFU mode is a state that you can put your iPhone into where it can interface with iTunes but does not load the iPhone operating system or boot loader (this is what really differs DFU mode from recovery mode). DFU stands for Device Firmware Update.

What is DFU mode used for?
    The primary reason people need to access DFU mode on their iPhone is to change the firmware on the device. This can serve to downgrade to a prior iPhone firmware and operating system, or to use a custom firmware that is required for a jailbreak or SIM unlock. For instance, if you got the iPhone OS 4 download installed and decided you would rather have a prior version of the firmware on your iPhone, you would need to do this through DFU mode.

How to enter iPhone DFU mode
    Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
    Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
    Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
    Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected

When you are in DFU mode your iPhone screen will be completely black
    Even though the screen is black, that doesn’t mean the device can’t be interfaced with either iTunes or a custom firmware client (for jailbreaking, etc).

Remember that if you see the restore logo, iTunes logo, or any message on the iPhone screen, you are not in DFU mode but standard Recovery Mode. Again, DFU mode is signified by having a completely black screen on the device. If anything else is the case, repeat the steps above until you enter into DFU mode successfully.

Exit DFU mode on iPhone
    The simplest way to exit out of DFU mode is to hold down the Home and sleep/power buttons on the iPhone while connected to iTunes. Then just hit the power button as and this should reboot the device as usual.

And if you’re curious, yes this works all the same on an iPod touch.

The most common use for DFU mode is to jailbreak. It’s not unusual for people to buy an existing iPhone and jailbreak the device to use the phone on another network or overseas, this is often a cheaper way to get an iPhone than to sign into a contract with AT&T, pay roaming charges, or pay the full iPhone 4 price. This is assuming you can find someone with the new iPhone that will sell it, considering how tight iPhone 4 availability and demand is at the moment, that might be difficult!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

DFU mode: Hold down both buttons for exactly 10 seconds, release the power button while holding the Home button for another 15 seconds. iTunes will then tell you it found an iPhone in Recovery Mode and it needs to restore it.

5. Jason-94 macrumors newbie

I came on hear to post about the exact same thing, wouldn't let me activate my iphone at all, so currently restoring it now, will let you know how it gets on

----------

Wouldn't let me restore it normally so had to put it in DFU mode and now it looks like it will work :(

6. Rob Nance macrumors newbie

I posted this on the Apple support forums and the post was almost immediately removed, like the guy was there just doing it to any new posts. I was wondering why I didn't see any there. Pretty f'd up. People spent money to BETA test it, and they have had nothing but an attitude of F U towards the people eager to test it. I am expecting any official response to be, these devices shouldn't be used for regular use, suck it. The thing is, I tried like you all, to update to the GM version via iTunes release version, and it just said it was current. Then out of nowhere my wife's and my phone just decide to brick themselves tonight. You can't even download any images from the dev site, because there are no current BETA versions, so I dare them to bring that up.

If anyone figures out a way to do this without losing all their data, please let us know.

7. Rob Nance macrumors newbie

8. harrisonsj macrumors newbie

Any way to bypass activation screen of beta 7 so I can attempt to salvage any data?

9. Jason-94 macrumors newbie

Well i had the same as the above poster, couldnt update to the GM through itunes so assumed i would be fine then it locked itself :/ I couldn't save any of my data, my phone managed to find a backup that was 4 months old, this was the back up it did the day i got my phone so had nothing on it :mad: Only thing i managed to keep was my numbers