HELP IOstorageFamily.kext/do not enter drama

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yourmuse, Feb 7, 2011.

1. yourmuse, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

yourmuse macrumors newbie

Ok...first of all...I'm a dumbm@c@ss! I was having issues with my external drives ejecting randomly and have been trying to fix that through google searches but have been unsuccessful.

Then I got that alert about something with the extensions being installed incorrectly etc. (sorry tryin to keep this short and simple) Then saw a post online saying to remove "preview.icns" from the IOstorageFamily extension package but still had the problem. then saw another post saying he copied and replaced that same file from another computer n replaced the one on the computer he was having problems with. so I did that. and now I get the do not enter sign at startup and I have tried pressing the c at startup and the shift key at startup for safeboot but I still get the same results (do not enter)

I'm scared no one can help me and I don't want to have to take my comp to the mac store. please help! there has to be someone in here that can help. I'm sure there are real Geniuses in this forum but I won't hold my breath...just crossing my fingers! (tried searching the kext file in the forum but came up empty...with regards to my problem but if I missed something please direct me to proper area. Thanks!)

**btw, I have a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz and installed Snow Leopard 250, 2gb...

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you removed/deleted/renamed a system file you will need to reinstall the operating system using your 10.6 DVD. You likely will not have to do an erase and install. Boot to the Mac install DVD holding the C key with it in on startup, and click through the installation. It will take 45 minutes to complete, after which you should be able to login and run software updates up to 10.6.6.

3. yourmuse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for your response Jedi...I tried that earlier with no luck but I will try again (maybe I didn't press C long enough). I'm hoping it works. ok its working but I'm crossing my fingers still...

*btw, this all started when I tried to run disk warrior (but it was an older version) Always liked disk warrior until then but still think it's a good idea to purchase the latest one. or not?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Disk Warrior is a great tool. More robust than Apple's Disk Utility, it can sometimes fix disk issues that Disk Utility can't. I remember reading something a year or so back that said one of the trade-offs for this oomph is that Disk Warrior can try to repair something that can't be repaired and make data recovery extraordinarily more difficult should it be unsuccessful, so you should, as always, make sure you have a backup before doing anything too involved with it.

5. yourmuse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you JediMeister! :) I'll most likely be purchasing a disk warrior upgrade. I'm glad my computer is back to normal!