Help, iPad 1 or iPod touch 32gb 4th?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acrilyc, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Acrilyc macrumors newbie

I'm stuck in the decision to buy an iPad 1st Generation, or iPod touch 4th generation, 32gb, or maybe 64gb. Just help me decide, would I get more from the iPad? or iPod? (not meaning GBs, meaning use, helpful, etc.)

Thanks everyone.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Impossible to answer the question with the complete lack of information about what you intend to do on either device.

If you post more info about what you hope to do, then people can give meaningful suggestions.

3. tkadrum macrumors member

IPod 4th G comes with front/back cameras. But smaller screen. If you are planning to take pictures, then iPod. Also, compact for pockets and best for on the go.
    Ipad has bigger screen, no camera. Heavy, can't put in pocket for on the go.

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

What are you looking to do with the new iOS device?

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Rhetorical question IMO. I can't think of hardly any situations that an iPod would be more convenient than an iPad. The only thing is the ability to put slide a touch in and out of your pocket/ much more portable.

6. Acrilyc thread starter macrumors newbie

It's quite simple. I look to use it for Apps. Maybe some music, videos. I am a musician, either could help for that. You know, stuff that apple products are used for. As for it being impossible to answer.. Other's have.

ajvizzgamer101: Using it for stuff like music, your everyday applications; notes, reading, email... pretty much a work utility. :)

iMJustAGuy: I agree, but there is the situation of cost. yet, I had a 32GB iPod touch, 3rd Gen. Yet, I washed it. So that's out of the question. Note: before anyone tells me I shouldn't get either because I am obviously not responsible toward my items, the reason it was washed was because I was sick. Food Poison. I wasn't really paying attention to what was in my pocket all that much, but I agree it's my bad. :)

Thanks everyone so far.

7. Acrilyc thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, I forgot to quote and reply to you.
    Yeah, I like the portable factor of the iPod touch, yet I love the factor of the big screen. As for pictures, a camera would be welcomed, but not necessary. :) Thanks.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I think it ultimately comes down to your preference of portability or not.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

An ipod would be better for Running or other workouts, slipping in your pocket for music while walking to class or work or something. On the other hand, annotating or highlighting PDFs, typing more than a few words, doing spreadsheets, or other tasks best done on a larger screen would pretty much suck on an iPod touch.

Let me rephrase that - impossible to answer completely and correctly, without receiving contradictory recommendations. There, is that easier to comprehend?

Which apps? There are a lot to choose from? Apple products are used for a lot of things, from music to design to business to play to anything else you can think of. That doesn't narrow it down any.

My suggestion is spend a little time figuring out what you need or want to do, then go visit an apple store and spend some serious time playing around with each device. If you're in an either/or situation, that's the best tactic.

The choice of one or the other is basically portability vs screen size. Your individual needs will dictate which takes priority.

10. Acrilyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Wether I gave all the little details and all the information wouldn't make it possible anyhow, I'm asking for opinions.

apps.. From.. Music, design, production, communication, stuff in that general area.

As for going to a retail store, I live over a 100 miles away from the closest one. I'm leaving for Orlando this coming Saturday, knowing I'll see 2 apple stores, which it why I'm getting opinions on either or, to be prepared to buy. I've never touched an iPad, yet I had an iPod 3rd Gen touch. 32gb. It's washed, as stated above. I am taking it along with me in hope they may be able to replace it or fix it, although it's not covered by warranty. So the hands-on approach would be mainly for the iPad.

11. Acrilyc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to believe so, too. Thanks. :)

12. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

But the debate here is between a touch and an iPad. If you want something for working out then a plain old iPod would do.

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

The first iPad is only $100 less than iPad 2. Why wouldn't you spend the extra $100?

14. ravenas macrumors regular

Given that need, I'd suggest you go for an iPad1.

I own both the iPad1 and Touch 4g. I got the Touch after the iPad because I wanted something super portable to add to my collection. But I use the devices differently.

If I'm on the go and want to listen to music, check some quick info or use a pocket calculator, I use my Touch. I also use it for a camera but only as a quick and easy option to upload photos and video online. The camera quality is pretty crap. Less than a 1 megapixel camera. My 12MP Canon point-n-shoot fits in a pocket and does an infinitely better job.

Editing documents is a flat out pain on a Touch. The screen is just far too small. Web surfing is also annoying. You keep zooming and flicking around the page. It's like looking at your monitor with a magnifying glass.

iPad is not as pocketable as the Touch but it is a fully functional device for productivity. And you get the options of the Touch such as music, tools, games, etc. The camera of the iPad2 is just as bad as the Touch 4g. iPad is a better experience for web surfing and video watching.

My bro-in-law got an iPad last year for his birthday. He's a musician as well. He uses it regularly for reading and playing music samples. The iPod isn't a useful tool for him.

15. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Because you can get a 64 gig 3G iPad 1 for peanuts? A 16 gig wifi model may be less than $300 these days.

Lots of steals (craigslist eBay) to be had now that iPad 2 histeria is among us. The prices have plunged.

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I see, thank you... BTW, they used to call me cool breeze in college, and I went to college in Utah. Nice to meet you!

17. sdmoore macrumors newbie

Great debate

I had the same dilemma about a month ago. With birthday money in hand, I wanted a new toy and decided the new touch was the way to go. But after I got it, I wondered if I should have waited for the new iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love the portability of the Touch and the fact that I have my calendar, music, and some little games to divert my daughters attention during long waits, right in the palm of my hand, not to mention Mail (provided I'm in a wifi spot), and the ability to surf and get directions via Maps, a must for this directionally challenged lady. But all that said, the business side of me--the one that needs to whip out a bluetooth keyboard to do serious writing and taking of notes for research--wishes I had saved the money to put toward the iPad 2.

It is all about how you use the technology that drives the choice of product to purchase.

Of course, if I had my way, I'd have one of every device :apple: makes. :D

18. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

An iPad wouldn't fit in your pocket so you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally washing it. :)

I liked my iPad so much that I ended up buying a 4th gen iPod touch for portability. I used the iPod for about 2 weeks and now I hardly ever use it. I use my iPad all the time. Once I get iPad2, I am going to give the iPod to my mom so that we can facetime.

I just got a bag big enough to carry my iPad around so portability will no longer be an issue.