Help! iPad 2 hanging on iOS8 update

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by moxiecat1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. moxiecat1 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2, about 2 years old, that likely has never had its software updated. (I'm just a procrastinator, and it worked fine.)

Today I wanted to add a new app, and the app required OS 8. So I thought, well, it's always bugging me to update, so I will. Now I wish I hadn't.

I touched the software update button in the Settings panel. The iPad went dark, then came back on with a black background, white Apple logo, and progress bar. For the first half-hour, the progress bar filled in slowly.

However, for the past 90 minutes or so, it's been stuck at about 90-95% complete. Apple's help page says it is normal for the progress bar to seem like it's not moving, but is very vague on how long is normal.

IS this normal? I am freaking out because since then, I've read horror stories about updates causing all data to be lost. Naturally, I am far from a good backupper (no wagging fingers please, I feel bad enough!) It just didn't even occur to me to backup before doing a software update--in 20 years of doing them on Macs, I have literally never had a serious issue.

What should I do? Does upgrading the iPad OS normally take this long, especially if you're upgrading from a somewhat-old OS? I am on home Wifi (Comcast) and I did plug the iPad in. I read another thread on here that mentioned tapping some combination of the home and power button to restart it, but I am petrified of doing ANYTHING that will erase my data. I am absolutely sick to my stomach about losing the photos and videos on there.

Can anyone give me some advice?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I had my iPad Air do something similar when updating from iOS 7 to iOS 7.1

What I did to get out of it was to press and hold the Power + Home buttons until you see the screen go dark and the Apple logo come on. That causes the iPad to reboot/restart.

*It's possible the update on your iPad 2 is not finished. I would give it a little bit more time before you restart your iPad.

3. moxiecat1, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

moxiecat1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I think that's what I read on the other thread as well.

You're sure that holding those two buttons definitely won't cause the memory to be wiped? I'm just deathly afraid of doing something dumb inadvertently (again).

I will let it go a little longer--I just wish I knew what was "normal" for my model, the OS "jump" in versions, my Wifi speed....etc. The progress bar is still stuck at the same spot it was. It's been at least 2-and-a-half hours now at that spot.

That said, I've had software do the same thing on installation...sit at the same spot on the progress bar without moving. Sometimes seems like forever. And then all of a sudden, it's done and OK. But it does make me nervous, and this situation is scarier than a random software install.

ETA: I will post if/when the update finishes on its own. If I haven't posted, assume that it hasn't. I started the update at 12:30 PM today, 3/21. The progress bar has been stuck at the same spot since about 1 PM. Right now it's been 3 hours.

4. moxiecat1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Couldn't wait any longer.

I held down the power and home buttons till the thing turned off. Almost immediately, the Apple comes back up, the progress bar starts again....and finishes. OS8 sets up. All my materials are there!!!!

Hooray!!!!!

Grateful beyond belief.

Hopefully it is OK to post links to other sites--I found a number of folks with the same problem (iPad 2-->OS 8, stuck at 95%) on the Apple Discussion board, and after the fear I've experienced this afternoon, I want to share this solution as widely as possible!
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6617174?start=0&tstart=0

I will now fully backup all my photos and videos on my iPad and iPhone so I'm never in this situation again!

Now to overcome my dislike of OS 8's graphics, but that's a topic for another thread....